1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rob111, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob111

rob111 Member

iam looking for the finish that some use.. i believe its from the auto industry. also tools to spray it .. Respectfully , rob mize

2. turmite

turmite Member

Hello Rob,

What you are looking for is automotive clearcoat which for the most part is a urethane. Standard spray equip will work fine, but if you are doing a stock a jamb gun is best.

Now with that said, I highly recommend you get someone to do the finishing for you unless you have experience with this material. It is a hazmat type finish and contains isocynates.....

Nasty little side product of the chemicals used to make the finish and if inhaled, will attach to the fibuli (sp) in your lungs as minute crystals and remain there forever more! Ask me how I know.

Mike

3. concrete

concrete TS Member

Its car clear, just add hardner and spray, wet sand with 600 grit sand paper and away you go. Don't worry about runs or imperfections, because you can wet sand them smooth. Easy to use and hard as nails and just about any auto parts store carries it.

4. rob111

rob111 Member

Thanks for the info. Mike, and Concrete. Respectfullu ,Rob Mize

5. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Rob, If there is an auto finishers near you, by that I mean a store that sells auto body paint and such, go and ask for a base coat clear coat in a spray can.. It's a two part deal apoxy.. You shake the can for a while then turn the can over and punch the red cap on the bottom and shake the two together for the stated time. It's good for I think a 12 or 24 hour period. The can sprays very well to give a great coat of clear. It dries in about 10 mins.and can be recoated very quickly to a very wet look. Follow the instructions on the can. I found this to be a great finish for a stock. It's about $15.00 a can but .well worth it. Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.