1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Finish

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil R, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

I would be interested in what folks in the group think of a gloss finish stock such as on a Citori XT, or a satin oil type finish on some other guns like a BT-99. I am not talking of comparing guns but merely finish. I think a satin finish for example on an XT would look nice.
    Neil

2. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

3. 3357

3357 Member

When it gets scratced and/or dinged (and it will) the satin finish is much easier to repair and maintain. jess

4. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

Good point Jess

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

The glossy finish on the Citori is some kind of self-curing urethane or epoxy that is very difficult to repair. It doesn't dent...it shatters. It's very brittle and a blow of any sort will knock a chip out of it. I've had some success repairing it with a thin-bodied crystal clear epoxy carefully dabbed into the cleaned-out chip with a sail needle. I would much rather have either a rubbed or a cured oil finish on my gun.

Mike

6. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

saw a new 525 citori old finish nice wood I would have been proud of it if it where mine Jon

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

A high gloss finish will show minor imperfections that are not easily seen with a satin finish. I like the looks of a high gloss finish on my new guns and the new cars I buy. After a year or so, I just get used to how the finish looks with a few nicks and dings.

Pat Ireland

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I absolutely adore a satin/oil finish. Being a woodworker, I think the satin/oil brings out the natural grain better. Gloss is OK, but the shine tends to "reflect" too much......"mirror affect".Also, satin just seems more "holdable" (not slippery).Pat.....IMHO...a gun is meant to be held......a car is best shinning and beading off water ! By the way......what is the easiest way to remove a "plastic" finish? Some don't react to regular strippers.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

dkusner - I hold my guns using the checkered surfaces. I am not convinced that a very nice soft satin finish would bring out the grain in my fiberglass Precision Fit Stock.

Stripping some finishes is a problem. I have even tried a heavy coat of stripper and sealed the wood in a plastic bag for a couple of hours. This will at least soften the finish and make it much harder to sand off. Sometimes 100-150 grit paper on a dry finish is best.

I wish there was a woodworker like you near me. I still have all of my cabinet shop equipment and would like to get rid of a few things. Would you like a 36 inch X 9 feet belt sander? It has a 15 HP 3 phase motor and probably weighs less than 1500 pounds. I do not know if I can ship it to you through UPS.

Pat Ireland

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Pat-36" x 9' sounds prety serious.Already have too many "wood toys" and my "bread and butter" is "in" home remodeling/additions.....only 10% is cabinet making.
    I have a 2 story 24' x 32' shop but it's packed. Shoulda built it twice the size....as always. Maybe when I'm 60 (4 years)....I'll retire to my shop and get serious on cabinets.....climbing on ladders and such is getting OLD.5 years from that.......I'll have a "Satin" finished PFS !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.