1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock finish repair question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I recently purchased a B80 that has simply some of the prettiest wood that I have ever seen but it has a fairly deep scratch across the stock into the palm area. Initially I took some oooo steel wool and tongue oil and buffed the whole stock, then took furniture polish and cleaned the stock, then took some automotive car polish and buffed it and it took most of the scuffs off but of course I still have the deep scratch. Is there a way to fill in the scratch and finish without have to strip the whole stock and it look good. Not being lazy, just scared I will mess it up. Should I try the steam iron and will it damage the finish on the stock. Jackie B.

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

You could attempt the wwt towel-hot iron method but it may harm the finish. You could also sand out the scratch and feather edge then refinish with the same finish. Take the forend to a good paint shop and ask for their opinion on the finish. Usually if you sand with a 1500 grit wet after the finish then use a polishing compound you can aleviate the overlap. You must use the same stain or filler is either are present.

3. ithaca4e

ithaca4e TS Member

The steam trick will only raise wood that has been crushed, as in a dent. If wood is missing due to a sctatch in the wood itself, this cannot be steamed up, because the wood is now gone. If the scratch is in the finish only, you might try to fill the scratch with a matching finish and then fine sand the repaired scratch flush with the existing finish. Then polish with the appropriate abrasive to blend the repair with the original finish. This may take several coats if the existing finish is thick and the scratch is deep.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting Jack- About all you can do is stain the scratch. Guns that are used get little dings in the wood. I have tried to repair many scratches and have had little success with any of them.

Pat Ireland

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Can U send me a picture of the scratch? I can fix anything just a matter of cost and if it's worth it. I spray a compatable finish with the origional Browning finish and a complete refinish would be around $275 if it is just a scratch that has not broken the finish or turned in to a white streak I can spot blend it for around $ 75.00 per scratch or ding.

Joe goldberg

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I can move it.

I better ask first what kind of gun are you talking about?

Doug Braker

7. Shooting Jack

I will try to repair/fill in the finish first and if that doesn't do it, I will get professional help. Thanks for the responses. Jackie B.

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Anybody still use shellac sticks?

9. Shooting Jack

22 How do you use them or where do you find them. I work in a Do It Best hardware store and we have all kinds of paint stuff, unfortunately I know very little about it. I order and maintain the sporting goods stuff ie guns, reels etc and run the store when the owner is out. Moments like these I wish I knew more about the paint stuff though. Jackie B.

10. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Jack, sent you a PM

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Jackie; Brownell's has them. You fill the gouge with the shellac stick using a hot knife. The trick is getting the right color match. Brownell's has pretty clear instructions.

12. Samuel

Samuel TS Member

I also have a scratch in my gun stock, the weird thing is
    the scratch is white. The finish in stain and clear gloss
    but where does the white come from.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

repair ding browning stock