1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Stock ergonomic grip* Epoxy does it cheap!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bueno, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bueno

Bueno Member

After I read about our own 2012 Olympic skeet gold medal by Vincent Hancock and saw the video of the (nill-griffe) German made stock with ergonomic grip with finger grooves, that he used, that cost $3500, I proceeded to interest my buddy and master craftsman Stan Boss to make an economical pistol grip for my G-Square Blaser Super Sports stock, that from the first day as new, lacked sufficient length between the grip and the trigger, for a comfortable hold, and made a thicker pistol grip a must, for a better and firmer hold, more so because of my large size hands.
    This is the final outcome, of applying "all fix" epoxy and matching the stock with dye and paint.

bueno_2011_050461.jpg

2. Bueno

Bueno Member

Regarding how much, well it took about 4 hours of sanding after letting the epoxy dry for 48 hours, then applying the paint and finish for another two hours. So figure 6 hours work. Cost of the materials about $25 dollars.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Having big hands I can appreciate that hand filler.

4. Bueno

Bueno Member

The "filler" is actually harder than the wood.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Very nice I like it.

6. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I would be interested in how it was done.

7. Bueno

Bueno Member

Ohio Bob:

First you clean the wood grip with mineral spirits of all grease and dirt, before applying the "all Fix" epoxy.
    Then you mix together a portion of the two cans of the epoxy and roll in your hands until warm. Then you apply the epoxy in the wood grip, mold and shape according to the diameter of your hand grip. Carefully cover the areas on the side of the pistol grip checkering that you want the palm swell.
    Let it dry for at least 48-72 hours.
    Once dried sand to fit your palm, and keep mounting gun with barrel installed. Go out and shoot it and try it out. I found out that on my first try the palm swell was way too big, and had to reduce it by sanding it.
    Sand smooth with different grades of sand paper, finishing with water and fine sandpaper.
    Apply dye and paint to match the stock, let it dry. Coat with clear varnish afterwards.
    Hope this helps.
    PS: All the persons that have seen it love it, and of course I had a few party poopers comment that they wouldn't want to "ruin" a good stock, by doing that to their gun. My answer is that I do whatever I need to do to my gun, to make it more comfortable for me to shoot better, and I could care less if it depreciates the future price, when I am ready to pass it on.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Considering doing something similar to my PFS over the winter, at least a grip for that is cheap enough if I don't like the outcome. If I do, I'll probably go for the full "glove grip" treatment with the horn @ the top to lock your thumb in place.

9. Bueno

Bueno Member

skeet man

Good idea, the "horn" on top to lock your thumb should help things out, and I really miss it on my grip, sometimes being "confused" on thumb placement, but this is a little more complicated to sculpture, without special molds.
    I have a buddy with a PFS that already performed the work on his, and it does feel and work better, although he didn't take the time to match the colors, and left it naturally beige.

10. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I have done bondo on my stock to get the exact shape I wanted for a "pattern" for a custom stock.
    On that one, I mixed up the bondo and put on a latex glove, mounted the gun, and held it until the bondo kicked over. Just a clean up was needed after the fact.
    Wonder if you could do something like that with a faster setting epoxy?

11. Bueno

Bueno Member

Big John 270

Can't answer about bondo, since I have no experience with that product, but you try it with the faster setting epoxy you mentioned and let us know the results.

12. Bueno

Bueno Member

For those curious about the German made Nill-Griffe grips:

bueno_2011_050462.jpg

bueno_2011_050463.jpg

bueno_2011_050464.jpg

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I work around composites quite a bit. A layer of saran wrap over the epoxy would allow you to grip the gun and mold the shape of your hand into the epoxy. Might make the final fitting go faster.

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Avaldes- Do you think wearing a latex glove on your hand as you grip it work as well, or would saran wrap be a better bet?

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I would think the glove would tend to stick in the epoxy and distort it when you pulled your hand out. I know that the saran wrap will stay in place on top of the epoxy and keep your hand from getting funky.

16. THALL

THALL Member

Great discussion on this thread. Tim Hall.

17. Bueno

Bueno Member

Avaldes

What a great advise about the Saran wrap! I wish I had done that earlier, but will surely do it next time!
    With the Saran wrap (probably the heavy duty one) you could do the "horn" thumb at the top pattern, that I omitted to do on my first attempt, much easier.
    This is why people should share with others, there is my payback.

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Miguelito, you've become a superstar on TS.com!! How dare you clutter up this site with something useful and informative! Shoot well in GDL.

19. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Rat grips would also work

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Latex glove coated with floor wax? That is what you use on barrels when your bedding them as a release agent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

epoxy grips for pistols

nill griffe the master revolver grip

nill pistol grips