1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Bolt Torque

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DocJim, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocJim

DocJim Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a recommended stock bolt torque for a Winchester 101 20 gauge?........Appreciate any info. ..............AJ

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Just tight enough so that it won't loosen, but not so tight as to crack the stock.....sorry.....that is a good question!!!

3. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

AJ,
    It's a feel thing. Like the last post said, tight enough, but don't crack it. If you're not sure, find a tool and die maker to help you.We're good at "feel" stuff and always willing to help.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

It is a good question. I finally decided that if Remington specified 4 foot pounds max for the 3200 buttstock then thats what I use for all my shotguns. I do have a torque wrench with extensions and bits.

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

4 or 5 #s torque.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

On a hot Summer day, I would put the stock bolt in until it firmly pulls the stock to the receiver and then give the wrench two firm tugs. On a cold Winter day, I would do the same thing but give the wrench four firm tugs.

So, my torque suggestion is two tugs when the bolt is warm, four tugs when it is cold. I have a torque wrench someplace and some day I might use it. Now I just measure torque in tugs.

Pat Ireland

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Pat, is there a difference in a tug after a bowl of Wheaties, as compared to a bowl of Lucky Charms???

tony

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That's a good one KENENT1, made my Sunday start off with a laugh. In all due respect I have had different stocks on same guns ( beretta 303's) and one of them would work loose unless it was really tight, the others only needed to be snugged so I wonder if the answer is possibly different in different instances?

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Just tight enough so the socket sticks on the stock bolt and you can't get it off.

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have also noticed that some stocks that I have had will work loose before others and require more torque than others....on 680 Berettas...

tony

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try a dab of blue loctite on the threads that would help keep it tight.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I did the blue locktite once and had to use a micro torch to heta the nut to get it off

13. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Buy a torque wrench for about $15 or so from a hardware store if you are not sure of how much to tighten the nut. Also, wrap a little bit of teflon tape on the bolt (at the spot where the nut finally tightens) to keep it from loosening over time. Using Loctite is not a very good idea, as cuban indicated.

14. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

The stock bolt tool that come with my Kolar looks like a screw driver. I would think that its so you don't put to much power to it.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

IIRC, Remington's 'rule-of-thumb' on how NOT to shove their M3200 stocks where they weren't designed to go (thereby causing Remington all that recall grief & expense, of course) was that a big screw-stick twisted by a dry bare hand yielded abt 5 pounds of torque, and anything further was overtorque.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how tight to tighten stock bolt on remington 870

kolar stock bolt torque

winchester stock bolt torque