1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Bolt Torque

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DocJim, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocJim

DocJim Member

What is an appropriate torque on the stock bolt of an O/U so that it will not work loose and not predispose to stock cracking? Thank you!

AJ

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Somewhere between 40-60 inch pounds.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Using a tool that you can grasp with one hand - like a screw driver or a T-handle - I tighten as tight as I can using just one hand. Not very scientific but it has always worked for me.

My Caesar Guerine came with a long allen driver with a 2"-3" T-handle. You can only get one hand on the handle.

Jim Skeel

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Learned the hard way to make sure the stock is not touching at either tang, that it is bottoming out on the area of the receiver the bolt goes threw.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't over tighten. Just use some Blue Loctite on the threads.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Remington had to allert owners of the 3200s to NOT tighten the stock bolt beyond 5 lbs torque. This was to help with the cracking of wood with these guns. My advice is "not too much torque but checked often"......breakemall

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

5 ft-lbs (60 in-lb) is about as much torque at a normal man can exert on a fastener with a screwdriver. Beware of t-handles as they can exert 2-4 times that. I prefer a flat washer and a wave washer under the fastener head over Loctite as unremoved hardened Loctite in the female threads can interfere with proper tightening.

MK

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Remington's recommendation was for those guns that did not have the receiver updated. If the buttstock was properly fitted, the bolt could be tighter.

The Ruger O/U guns are the same way...Ruger says no more than 4#. This, and ill fitting wood are why they are constantly getting loose and eventually cracking and chipping wood.

I use T-handles on most everything, and use about 1/8 more twist beyond tight.Using a scewdriver type of handle will surely give me blisters everyday.

As SBE mentioned above, the post between the tangs need to take most of the pressure. After years of shooting, the end grain areas will break down allowing pressure in areas that cannot withstand constant recoil. It would be wise to put a dab of bedding compound at the stock bolt area and then go back and slightly relieve the areas around the front of the stock and at the rear of each tang. You'll never need to worry about a crack or chip.

Doug

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Unknown1, a little tread chasing (tap) will remove any loctite from the female end. Wire brush the male end. Blue loctite is removable. Don't use any other color of loctite.

10. Unknown1

I prefer not to use it... I know that it can be removed but I don't think it's a good idea to use steel thread chasers and wire brushes on soft gun metals to do it.

Way back when, I had a set of thread cleaning tools made of a bronze material that came from a tool company in England. They were designed specifically to remove anaerobic locking compounds from threads. They wore out and I can't find them any more. Metal thread chasers are not a suitable substitute in my book.

MK

11. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I have a Beretta A301 that I tightened too much, evidently. When removing the stock nut for stock removal, the threaded end comes out of the receiver rather than the nut coming off of the butt end. I've tried loc-tite but it does not hold. Looks impossible to somehow grag the bolt tight enough to remove the nut. HELP! and thanks,

milt

12. Unknown1

The threads on the nut or the nut end may be damaged making them tight or the nut may be bottomed on the threads.

MK

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Milt,

A permenant type of loc-tite needs to be on the receiver end of the tube. Threadlocker 262 works very well.

I'm going to guess someone loct-tited the nut. You should be able to pull the tube from the buttstock if its free of the receiver. Then using a propane torch, heat the nut lightly and screw the nut off and clean the threads.

Its very important to have the tube and receiver free of any oil, grease and other gunk. Gunscrubber works well and so does naptha. Applt the threadlocker 262, screw in the tube, wipe off the excess, and leave it sit over night. Be sure the tube is screwed in to the correct location before leaving it sit.

The same can be applied to the Winch SX-1 for its action tube and its magazine tube. Mossberg 500 mag tubes are the same.

Don't ever loc-tite the sock bolt into the receiver!! Keeping a stock tight can be accomplished by using a combination of flat washers and lock washers. Lock washers cannot be used between the head of the bolt and the wood!! I see this quite frequently and correct them by installing a flat washer against the wood.

Doug

14. mette56

Doug, I'm confused. When you try to remove the stock by loosening the butt end nut, the stock bolt comes out of the receiver and is left in the stock, the nut is still tightly inplace. Therefore heating the nut with a torch would damage the wood since the nut is recessed into the butt end of stock...right? Your comment is to apply loctite on the receiver end of the tube (stock bolt I assume) , then you later state "Don't ever loctite the stock bolt into the receiver". The nut is not loctited, it's just been tightened with too much torque. So when I remove the stock, the bolt and nut are still in the stock with nothing protruding out of the stock at either end to grab hold of to loosen the nut. That's why it looks to me like the only way I'm going to remove the bolt from the stock and get the nut loose is to bond the bolt into the receiver. There is a washer in place with the nut.

thanks, milt

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Milt,

We're talking two different things. Your gun has an action tube, not a stock bolt. Your problem is the action tube has unscrewed itself from the receiver.

Clean the end of the tube and receiver very well and apply Loc-tite 262 permenent threadlocker to the tube's threads and scew the stock assy back to the receiver. After a day, the loctite should hold well enough for you to loosen the nut.

Doug

16. mette56

Thanks a bunch Doug. What kind of gun doctoring do you do? Sending my next problem to you!

milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 stock loose nut

beretta a301 butt stock removal
how much torque is applied to beretta 391 buttstock bolts
mossberg 500 stock bolt torque
perazzi stock bolt how tight
torque specs for a mossberg 500 shotgun stock bolt