1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock bolt problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,not quite up to par with reworking a trap gun,but still a problem. I have a Stevens model 94 16 gauge single shot shotgun. Just for fun I took it to the gun club and practiced with it once.Well,it kicked like a mule compared to my 12 gauge sporting clay gun. I got the bright idea that if I got rid of the plastic fore arm and stock,maybe that would help a little. I bought a set from Brunells for a 410 gauge and just about got it fit.Stock bolt is the problem,Brunells doesn't carry one for their stock. The problem being the plastic stock uses a 24 thread 3 inch bolt.Well,the wood stock from brunells has a lot more distance in solid wood than the 3 inches.(approx. 5-6inches)Can't seem to find one long enough in the hardware store(lowe's) near me.Anyone have a suggestion,I was thinking of going to a different hardware store and using threaded stock instead of bolt.Again,any help wood be appreciated,my son,even though he's not an avid shooter was thinking of using this gun,just to go and shoot practice with me. Thanks again for any help.OH,,it's an old hammer gun,hope using it won't wear it out to quick.

Doug H.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Make the hole in the wood stock deeper so the 3 inch bolt comes out the end enough to thread onto the action. HMB

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

P/N 91251A927 @ McMaster Carr should get you where you need to be.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

sounds like a good way to kill his interest forever!

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

Euro

you mean by letting him shoot 16 gauge??If so,I've already talked to him about that,but he's 38 and I'll let him make his own decisions.LOL

I warned him how it kicks,I have started to load a few 16's,trying to make them light,in case he does follow up on shooting.

Doug H.

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

HMB

Thought about that,but didn't want to compromise the strengh of the wood.

Doug H.

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I can get the proper bolt system to work in the wood buttstock change from TENITE that you have.

I did one not long ago for a shooter and it just requires removal of the extended section that is screwed into the rear of the frame and installing a proper length bolt with washers.

The thread pitch is not common or available at any hardware store, so don't expect to find one at home despot or other ginormous box store, or even a special local hardware fix-all store.

Kirby

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks Kirby,I went to the site Skeet man recommended and I believe I've ordered screw that will work.Thanks for info

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.