1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Bolt / Horizontal Boring Machine ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gamba Man, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

I wanted to try my hand at stockmaking,....was wondering how the through hole was bored for the stock bolt. I'm assuming a horizontal boring machine was used.
    What do you fellows suggest for a boring machine for such a job,...and where could one find it.

Cesare

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any large lathe. Chuck up the wood. Use a long drill bit in the tail stock, drill through, then counter sink with a larger drill. I suppose for production you could use a horizontal boring machine.

3. whiz630

whiz630 TS Member

you don't even need a large lathe.first lay out the stock where you want the drill to enter and discharge out the other end.use a small center drill on both ends to mark where to start.i chuck up the drill,if you have a collet or 3 jaw chuck start with drill out about 6" move the drill out another 6" until thru.this way if you wnt you can turn the stock around and drill from both ends until thru.i have never had a problem yet.i take a two lip auger and add a pilot about 3"long and drill the counter bore with a power drill.good luck. whiz630

4. whiz630

whiz630 TS Member

oh yes i forgot before drilling, place the stock end on the lathe center and feed the tailstock toward the drill, all you have to do is hold the stock from turning there is very little pressure for a 5/16" drill. whiz630

5. jbisinger

jbisinger Member

How can an irregular shape like a stock be "chucked up"? Won't any type of auger with lips and a spur center tend to follow the grain of the wood and be un-true? I asdked this question a while ago and got little response. Since then have purchased a shell auger(available in 3/8 & 5/16 dia. x 24"). This spoon-shaped drill cuts on the end only(no side cutting like a twist drill) and is said to be straight running. Ill let you know the results. Also, Eldorado Co. makes some gun drills that might work since they have a design similar to the shell auger & can certainly drill a straight hole in wood.
    Jack Bisinger

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

Ummm, Jack,,, the stock goes between centers. The drill is the part held in the spinning chuck while a tail stock mounted center goes into the other center drilled hole in the gunstock to keep alignment. Hang on tight because I once saw a safety film dealing with the consequences of tooling bind when you get too heavy on the feed and too light on the deep hole chip removal. Whoever imagined you do it by chucking up the wood said some funny $h!+. Unless they imagined doing it in conjunction with a steady rest, but that would be even funnier.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I use a drill press. After inletting for the receiver, I screw in a short pointed bolt into the receiver and push it into the stock to locate the hole. Drilling the hole can tricky and requires a good setup. The hole location is critical when a lot of cast is required.

Bottom line is, if you can't figure this out you probably should not try it.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's much better in the beginning to buy semi inlet stocks that are oversize and finish them from there. Stock duplication service is available from many stockmakers and the cost will be returned in about a 60% time savings from trying to go from a block to completed stock on your own trust me I have do stocks both ways and you don't want to go from a blank with out a duplicator or a duplication service.
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.