1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

### Stock Blanks For Sale / 3 ###

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Message not deleted but just edited for content.

2. Cy-Kick

Cy-Kick TS Member

Because, I have an ax to grind and need some wood to see if it is sharp.

You now have the opportunity to go grind it elsewhere. If you would like to have your account re-instated, send an email and tell us why.

3. mulls427

mulls427 Member

I for one really like seeing the wood and hope the posts continue:))!!
    Mike Mullery

4. striper

striper Member

Ditto to Mia and the last post. I have always thought great looking wood should be admired and desired on any weapon I own. I therefore really appreciate just looking at fine quality and hope we can continue to admire and look without the BS and bickering. Fine wood is apart of owning a fine weapon like the ones discussed on the TS.Com JMHO

5. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Another ditto for MIA. Keep 'em coming, Jerry. You just about have me convinced to break down and buy a project blank.

6. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I also enjoy occasional posts of good wood, from blanks to finished. I also like to keep any personal comments on a face to face basis. Only wish more people felt the same way as life is really too short.

Eddie

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I, too, enjoy looking at nice wood. I open every thread offering a gun for sale just in case it has attractive wood even if it's a gun in which I have no interest. Please keep them coming, Jerry!

Ed

8. JRW

JRW Member

Just left Cecil Fredis with a chunk of Myrtle wood. can't wait to see how it turns out. Jerry

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can anyone tell me why I can't open these photo buckets to look at the pics?

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

All I see are squares that state that Photobucket's bandwidth has been exceeded.

Ed

11. too fast

too fast TS Member

Jerry that is all I am getting also "Upgrade to Pro Today" band width exceded. Last week they were working fine but yesterday had this problem. I for one am glad to see the wood return. Keep up the good work but hope to see the pictures back soon.

Thanks
    Jim L

12. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

just getting boxes here too. also agree with seeing wood pics as often as possible, i love them.jackmitch

13. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

to both jerry,s thanks for showing the beautiful wood please do show the finished product.jackmitch

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Jerry, That piece of English on ebay #190195183689 is nice but... For a thousand bucks I would be rather concerned about the grain through the wrist. From the left side it looks ok but from the right the grain is certainly not straight or dense. It could be ok but it could be a problem. As you know, the most important thing in a shotgun stock is that the grain through the wrist be as straight and dense as possible or over time it will crack under repeated recoil. No matter how nice the marble cake is, if the wrist grain is not good I would not touch it at any price. That one I would have to see in person. Or, at least, see pictures of the end and top and bottom so you can judge the grain where it will join the receiver. Jake

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

MIA it can indeed be figured (Burled is a WHOLE other matter. I sure as heck wouldn't put burl in the wrist of a stock I paid a bunch for.) but the underlying grain must be rather straight into the receiver. It can have feather or flame or other highlights but if the grain is not rather straight it will be weak.

Show me a real high quality gun, Rizzini, Purdy, H & H, Boss, Fabri etc. which does not have straight grain into the receiver. I am not talking about figure, I am talking about the primary grain. The stock we are talking about, eBay #190195183689 MAY be ok. If you can see it in person and see how the grain runs at the wrist end. But I sure wouldn't pay big bucks to find out the grain you see on the right side is predominant through the face of the wrist. Not for a gun that is going to shoot many thousands of rounds.

I'll tell you something else. The guy selling it knows it. He practically hides that part of the stock. The first two pictures are both of the left side of the stock just flipped upside down. Some might think he is showing both sides. The pictures of the right side are taken from behind to diminish the look of the wrist area. Only in the next to the last picture, before the one of the left side again with the forearm, can you even get a decent look at the wrist from the right side. And, he does not take a picture of the end or of the top and bottom to show the grain through the wrist. Jake

16. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

The main problem with that Ebay stock is that it is undersized. Forgot any cast off or toe not to mention offset.

Also having watched his previous auctions he seems to send himself questions that make his wood seem more valuable.

I watched a piece that wasn't even close to the grade he called it and someone asked him if they could buy it outright for $300. he replied that they couldn't because the bidding had started but they should bid that much on it.

Strangely it went for less that 1/2 of the $300 he declined. What happened to the bidder that wanted to buy it outright for $300???
    Be careful.

Jerry W

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Jerry, Very good point. I didn't even notice the blank (Ebay #190195183689)was only 2 3/8 inches thick. I was too put off by the grain pattern on the right side through the handle. The thin blank also almost assures that the blank can not be turned from the right to the left to get to the better grain structure on the left. And, I agree it is more than marginal for any competition stock with cast and such.

I also agree that the questions look like phony plants.

This Ebay seller looks less than honest to me. (We are allowed to say that on here, right?)

Regards, Jake

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

MIA, I though you were into the "furniture grade." Not on that gun.

By the way, you make a good point on your earlier post. If that wood has internal flaws, you are probably just going to be out the thousand plus whatever it cost to turn it. That Ebay poster is not going to stand behind it. I can not imagine buying high grade wood without a flat out guarantee through the turning process from someone who really stands behind the guarantee.

Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.