1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock Bending

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xtj, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtj

xtj Guest

Would any of you trapshooters out there know of some one who does stock bending??

Thank You
    JKG

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jim Greenwood, Agusta, Kansas.

He did three for me so far. Nice work.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. ABH

ABH Member

Ed Yanchok. AKA The Stock Doctor. Warren, NJ.

4. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Same here.....Jim Greenwood has done several Superposed for me. Old wood takes a little time to get bent. Jim got it done. Can't tell anything was done by looking.

5. chukar16

chukar16 Member

Woodcock Hill Inc. Benton PA did a couple for me, great people to work with.
    Paul D

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Once the stock is bent will it hold that position or will it have a tendency to return to normal (straight) over time? Thanks, Marc

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Once the stock is bent will it hold that position or will it have a tendency to return to normal (straight) over time? Thanks, Marc</i>

That's one of those "It depends." questions. The degree of manipulation matters, and how dry/old/thick the wood is, as well as how good the bender is.

When you bend a stock, you 'overbend' it, and then fix it that position overnight or longer. There will always be some creepage back toward the default (mebbe 1/8th inch ±?), but under normal conditions, once it is done, it's done.

Some woods just don't bend worth a flip; some you can make permanent pretzels from.

I have a 7p .pdf illustrated paper (DGJ, maybe?) I can send to anybody who wants it. PM me your addy.

Bob

8. shootsome

shootsome Member

Rich Cole of Cole Gunsmithing bends stocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.