1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock bending

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

Enenybody try to bend there own stock thinking of giving it a try? THANKS JOE

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It takes a substantial piece of equipment - a sturdy bench, a means of clamping the receiver and barrel without damaging them and a frame to pull/push against.

It requires a substantial amount of knowledge - how hot to heat the wrist, what oil to use, how far to over bend it to allow for the spring back, and when to quit before the stock breaks.

I can recommend Jim Greenwood of Augusta Kansas. He does a good job and is reasonable - $150 for first bend and $100 for second I believe (drop and cast are two bends). Jim has some good photos of his setup on his website.

<a href="http://www.greenwoodcustomstocks.com/" target="_blank">Jim Greenwood Custom Stocks</a>

Jim Skeel

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have bent several stocks using a heat lamp, a rag soaked with motor oil wrapped around the wrist, a couple of clamps and a weight. It has worked on a couple of stocks without damaging the stock or the finish.

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

My experence was that the stock eventually returned to its orginal shape.

ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.