1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Bending?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sprinklerman, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Who will bend a stock properly with a short turn around time? I am in Northern Nebraska.

2. cnsane

cnsane Member

Mike Murphy in Wichita did my K-80 when he sold it to me new. Hot oil bend, if I recollect. Competent work and turn around time that was within a few weeks of his estimate.

3. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Joe Shiozaki of J.S. Air-Cushion (Azusa, CA) has bent some stocks for me - he uses a pair of heat lamps.

I know there are stocks he won't bend for a lot of reasons but mostly I think a lot depends on how the grain runs thru the grip.... and of course there is a limit to the amount of "bend" he can put into it.

You could call and talk to him and talk about what you need. If you send him the wood and he doesn't think he can do it safely he'll tell you and send it back but I do know there isn't any guarantee if the stock breaks when he's trying to bend it or that the bend he puts into it will stay.

Bottom line --- the plainer the wood the better chance you have to be able to bend it.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

You didn't say what kind of gun and which way that you want it bent. Some guns either can not or should not be bent.

Ed Yanchok

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Michael Murphy can fit your gun. Jim Greenwood will do the bending. Jim's shop is upstairs above Murphy's. They are a good pair. If you know what you want done you can send your gun to Jim Greenwood and save the fitting charge. Their shop is located in Agusta Kansas.

Jim has bent a couple of stocks for me. Always with good results.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.