1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?Stock Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DocJim, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocJim

DocJim Member

When I mount the gun the beads are "lined up", even when done with both eyes closed. When I practice on the Terry Jordan wall chart I will occassionally note that after the "shot" the middle bead is slightly to the left of the muzzle bead.(about 1 bead diameter) Do I need a stock adjustment for cast? I have a stock adjuster with about 3/8" extra drop at the heel and and some toe out.
    Thanks
    AJ

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

AJ....... If your beads line up as you say they do, what you are noticing at the end of your shot sounds like "crossfiring", or, you are still moving the gun after the shot but have stopped your eyes from looking at the target which leads to a "disconnect" between your eyes and the gun.....Just my opinion.........Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dan, maybe he's rolling the gun in his hands during the move with a weak hold on the gun? Not having the gun locked into the upper body would be my guess? Hap

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- I started to write exactly what you wrote, but you did it first. Sometimes pulling a trigger will cause the hand to move in toward the face. You can see this by just sticking your arm out and moving your index finger as if it were pulling a trigger.

Pat Ireland

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- I started to write exactly what you wrote, but you did it first. Sometimes pulling a trigger will cause the hand to move in toward the face. You can see this by just sticking your arm out and moving your index finger as if it were pulling a trigger.

Pat Ireland

6. DocJim

DocJim Member

I think you may have hit it. Sometimes I do not press the right cheek into the stock as firmly as I do on other shots. Now is there anything else I can do to correct it except concretrate on my set-up more? Don't think it's crossfiring; I have a piece of tape on the left lens of my glasses to prevent that. Many thanks!
    AJ

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

You flinched again, I thought you had gotten a release mouse. HMB

8. Hap MecTweaks

DocJim, if I were in your shoes, I'd pull that gun back into the shoulder with more authority. You control a shotgun with the trigger hand (bottom three fingers) by doing that even with a fitted to you stock! Couple that with a proper upper body move to intercept the clay and it breaks but you have to keep the stock in control. Much, much more important is a firm control if the stocks off a tad in the fit department, it will jump/twist on your shoulder. When shooting doubles that weak handed approach shows up really quick on trying to make the second shot. I'd guess some may perceive that as a crossfire when it isn't? Best of luck guy.

Hap

9. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Doc, Not staying with the gun when the gun is on the move, is one of the most visible indicators of poor gunfit. If the gun fits properly and if you are not armshooting, it will be lined up at the end of the move. Your cast question cannot be answered fully without a good fitting analysis to see the wheres and whys of this problem. Just off the cuff, it sounds like a comb adjustment issue instead if a buttplate issue. Your buttplate insures comfort and solves drop at heel/toe out issues, and compensate for neck length. I wouldnt try to solve my alignment issues by cranking the plate. I would scoot the adjustable comb over a little to the right. If you do not have an adjustable comb, there are several of us who frequent this site that can take care of you in that regard. Yours in Shooting and Merry Christmas. Todd Nelson 256-762-6559cell

10. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

The previous comments are also very noteworthy. Todd

11. Hap MecTweaks

Todd, will you be coming to Tucson this Feb. for the Spring Grand? If so, I have a job I want you to do.

Hap

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"not having the gun locked into the upper body" (aka "arm shooting") would be my guess also. If he has an adjustable comb, would moving the comb a little closer to the face help?

John C. Saubak

13. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Hap,
    I will be in Florida but Aaron will be at Spring Shoot with our other workshop. His contact info 256-360-2440 home...256 627-8420 cell.

14. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Todd

what dates & where are you going to be in florida ?

ernie

15. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks Todd! I'll call him. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.