1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stinky case

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bridger, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I bought a used gun at the Grand last week that came in an Americase. I was focused on the gun and did not pay much attention to the case at the time of sale. The dealer had it packed and ready to go when I came to pick it up. When I opened it up when I got home, there was a terrible odor coming from the case. I don't know how to describe it but its bad. I tried spraying it with Lysol and leaving it out in the sun for a day. A little bit better but it still stinks. Anyone ever had anything like this and found a way to cure it? Thanks

2. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Try spraying on a mild solution of lemon scented dish soap (Joy or something similar), water and Oxy Clean. The extra oxygen molecules in the Oxy Clean will help break down the odor if it is food related. If you get it too wet use a wet-vac to extract the soap & water solution.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Febreeze may work,,,,do you what it is that is _causing_ the odor. Lysol, Febreeze mask orders, but to make it go away, you need to find the cause.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Look for a dead rat inside. Febreeze, Ozium, or similar treatment with a thorough cleaning with lots of fresh air and sunshine. The other option is to replace the case or send it to the manufacturer and have them redo it.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

charcoal and baking soda.

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Shy of an Ozone Generator, Barry has the solution.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes, charcoal, baking soda, and used coffee dust.

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have no idea what the cause is and ripping the interior out to find out is a last resort. I've got it sitting out in the sun again today and will see what that brings.
    Can someone tell me the procedure for using charcoal and baking soda?

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Put about 3-4oz of baking soda and about 6 charcoal briquets on some aluminum foil in the case. Close the case for a day or two and check the results. Repeat until the case smells ok to you. If that doesn't reduce the smell enough then you may have to take out the lining then spray the inside with "Kilz" and then reline the case. Most likely you're smelling mold and mildew caused by moisture in the case.

Eric

10. titan79

titan79 TS Member

I have had good luck with a product called Odo-Ban. Got it at Sam's Wholesale Club

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Had the same situation once...I used a dry foam rug shampoo, rubbed into the knap of the fur or velvet..vacuumed that out per directions then put a potpourri scented carpet freshener powder sprinkled LIBERALLY and 4 dryer sheets of the same basic scent...left it closed sitting on a heater duct on the floor for 2 weeks...odor gone!
    P.S. I think my odor was from a kitty relieving himself in the case...I would have hated to see the gun that was originally in it...Resolve works good too...just make sure its truly dry before you put your gun in

12. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Was this gun case NEAR Tron's CAT????????????????

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Had this happen to me with a long-stored Perazzi case.

I went to the drug store and the pharmacist recommenced to me a very small bottle of a yellowish solution.

I used it ONCE and it was 100% effective.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the product, but your local drug store may know - and it was CHEAP too, but worked like a charm.

Whiz

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Charcoal is a great oder absorber, but it must be activated charcoal (full of microscopic holes). Charcoal briquets are not made from activated charcoal.

Pat Ireland

15. kw565

kw565 Member

+1 for what Pat said, you get it at the pet store.

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What did the seller have to say about it? Kind of a crappy deal on his/her partto sell something like that.

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Clorine in a small dish. Close case and check in a couple of days. Then air out.

18. Bridger

Bridger Member

Two days in the sun have made a big difference. Can't really smell anything now. The test will be when it is closed up again. if the odor comes back I will try the baking soda/charcoal next. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

19. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

If ALL else fails.....try gasoline and a match! (hehehehehe)

AndyH ;-)

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If worst comes to worst, Americase will replace the lining in an old, worn, (or stinky) case. It will look like brand new and smell like a new car. My buddy had his case relined and even had them embroidery his name on the upper part. By the way, congratulations on the new gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.