1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stinkbugs in reloads, what's the effect?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerry944t, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Stinkbugs in reloads, what

I know this thread will bring out the comedians in the group but here goes.

I stored a bunch of hulls in my shed over the winter, Gunclubs to be specific. I brought one of the boxes in last night and started happily reloading. I knocked out 500 before I could see the bottom of the box.

Low and behold the bottom of the box was covered with dead, dried up, Stinkbugs which are epidemic in PA now. I am sure some of these critters found their way into the hulls and were incorporated into my reloads.

So the question is, since they would obviously be pushed into the powder section, will this have any effect on the shells?

I know, I know, my loads stink but does anyone thing this could be a genuine problem?

Cheers,

Jerry

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They may make the rest of the squad miss a few, if your lucky.

3. GRR

GRR TS Member

Jerry944t....When you say stink bugs is this that lady bug looking Asian beetle? I have been trying to find out who planted them and what plan did they have if they got away. I've heard all the explanations from the Gov't and they still won't give me a name or organization who planted them. Does anybody on this site have a name?

Thanks
    Gary

4. Jerry944t

The are a flat, brown bug that was introduced to this area from some fruit from Asia, I think. I don't think it was anything but an accident.

They are oblong, about 3/8 inch in length. When disturbed they emit a stink although I can't smell them. My cats avoid them like the plague so they must be unpleasant.

I will find out what they smell like when ignited, probably this weekend.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you put one in each shell it will reduce recoil. HMB

6. Jerry944t

I'm guessing the bugs are already dead Richard and one thing is certain, they are not endangered. They are flourishing, having no natural enemies because, well, they stink!

7. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

So now we know why k-80's are blowing barrels-reloads with stink bugs-when perfume is released it causes a raise in pressure-results in bursting barrels.There you have it,problem solved.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Jerry, I don't know about your house but I get hundreds over the winter that somehow get into my house. For the people who don't know what they look like, there shaped like a coat of arms shield and when crushed smell like a 50 cent bottle of perfume. Make sure one does not take up home in one of your 45 barrels.

9. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

If nothing else you should set a new speed record for how fast a stink bug can fly...

10. ken a

ken a Member

Add a few to make a better crimp. You are lucky indeed if you can't smell them otherwise it should be no problem, unless they get across the primer hole.

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

What do they compare to in size? 7-1/2s or 8s?

12. jcw62

jcw62 TS Member

After shooting the reloads I'm sure you will find a few arse holes when it comes time to clean the barrel.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Vern,

You're right about the ticks. They are taking over the country. Be careful they can spread a bunch of fatal deseases. HMB

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- Back to your original question, yes, they could cause a problem but you will not know until you shoot the shells. Debris over the primer can result in poor ignition. Many have discovered that a small Dove feather over the primer can cause weak shells

Pat Ireland

15. Jerry944t

Toolmaker, yeah they are everywhere and into everything. Everyone I speak to in our area of the world says the same thing.

Pat if I get some funny sounding loads I'll know the cause.

I don't think I'll blow up my gun since it's a Perazzi and, as we all know, it's too busy eating hammer springs to take the time to blow up.

16. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Where's Neil when we need an analysis?

Certainly they will effect pattern and you may need to change chokes......

Charts to follow.......

Jim C

17. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Those little stinkers were landing on me and my XT all day in Spartanburg this past weekend. They must love the smell of burnt Clays!

18. Jerry944t

Zap, it's hams on Saturday at DCS. I'll be the one no one will squad with.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jer. You miss the boat. Do an imperical analysis. Load up a box with one stink bug in the bottom and then another box with 2 dead stink bugs. Load em all up and take them to the range wiht your bestest gun, Chrono and give us a AC or Neil-like report. You will hve done your freinds a big fave. Take the guess work out of this for us. Too, they may be highly volitile and develop pressures that blow that stanky P gun of yours apart sky high. Wear eye protection.

You're welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.