1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stink Bugs ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ljutic111, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

WE just received our newer trailer on site and in cleaning it out we found stink bugs in the fluorescent fixtures . Maybe the roof section is a breeding ground ? Does anyone know if there is an attractor that will lure them into a container . I don`t want to start spraying insecticide for them .

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Shop vac?

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

We get a few of them at our cabin at Ocqueoc in northern Mi. Not really enough of them to be more than a nuisance. They also seem to disappear in the summer. I would take a wait and see approach to them. You may not get enough to be a problem. Bill

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You will ruin the shop vac. Spray the area with Ortho Max, double doseage and in 2 days they will all be gone.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

How many Praying Mantises would be needed in a 40x12 trailer ???

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Exactly a butt-ton.

Guy B.

7. pdq

pdq Member

Have you actually seen a praying mantis eat the stink bugs? I have been told by many people incuding people at exterminator companies that they had no known predators, and that their company had no known truly effective cure.

We live near a heeavily wooded area which they like, and at one point had hundreds in our house -- found they were coming down the chimney and out of the fireplaces. Put fiberglass mesh across the fireplace with tape and had them crawling all over the inside of it.

Then had a chimney person put 1/4" mesh caps on the chimneys -- no more coming down although they do ocassionally find another way to slip in.

Pete

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

That would be the Western Conifer Cone Nosed Stink bug to be exact.

9. steele

steele TS Member

Not to sound like a total idiot, but where does one find the mantis's. Last time I checked, all the stores were sold out!!

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I think they are in the churches . Not at walmart .

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Be careful of the ones with turbans.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Birds don't eat them neither do spiders, I'll say it again I had many hundreds around the outside windows and doors, went to a garden center and was told to use Ortho Max 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, I used 2 teaspoons. Sprayed all around the frames and in 2 days all were gone, don't know if it killed them or chased them away, but they were gone the rest of the year.

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

There is only one predator to the stink bug.A tiny wasp,it was imported to the University of Delaware and they are working with it to make sure there's no bad effects if it were to be bred and released in the states.The worry is,like so many other fish,insects,and animals that have been brought in for a specific reason there will be detrimentl effects on some native species.

Doug H.

14. porky

porky TS Member

Squash bugs look like stink bugs also.

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Nice to know now Rick , we just painted the inside of the trailer YELLOW !!!! None there today but I suspect them to be in the ceiling spawning ??

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have you tried moth balls? I put mothballs under my mother in law's house for skunks, that get under there. The skunks leave, but my mother in law is still there. Charlie

17. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Have you ever smelled moth balls???? How did you get there little legs apart??? LOL LOL LOL

18. The Clay Crusher

The Clay Crusher TS Member

If you have what's common here in VA, they are Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs (Don't ask me who named them!)
    At any rate, they're attracted to heat and especially light. They tend to invade structures in the spring and fall, seeking heat and light.
    I used to own an older house, built in the 20's; insulated and sealed with 1920's technology as well. Any day of the week, I had 10-20 stink bugs in my partially finished attic. They'd also get into the rest of the house through the various gaps a 90 year old house has.
    I tried a lot of things, but this 'gimmick' actually worked pretty well. It's non-toxic, cheap and kinda cool to watch unfold as well.
    Let us know how you do. Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUuHhWYvDA

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VwUuHhWYvDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.