1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Still looking for a trap gun...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm still looking for a good trap gun. I'm currently shooting an 1100 field gun (w/vent rib) and want something more. My budget is $1500. Prefer a double, but will consider a single. Adjustable comb and stock w/choke tubes. Minor dings are fine, I'm looking for a shooter, not a wall hanging. Constantly check GunBroker and GunsAmerica, so please don't suggest I go there. What is in your safe that you don't shoot anymore? FFL certificate just waiting to be mailed to someone, along with a cashiers check. 12 Gauge.

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

$1500 for an O/U with adjustable comb, stock and choke tubes may be a little ambitious. Perhaps you may find a SKB or a red label, but you will not touch anything like a citori XT for that amount. With your budget I would concentrate on a BT 99.

3. Mojo

Mojo Member

I woulld go back on GB.com and take a look at the Berreta 680 Cole Special
    32" OU with adj. stock and tubes @ $1350. cased.

Just a thought.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, the Berreta looks like a very nice gun. BUT, the opening price is $1350, and has a reserve on it. I'm sure this gun will go for well over $2,000 with a buy it now price of $3100. In my experience, this means the reserve is probably around $2500. Well over my budget. I really love shooting trap, but is sure is expensive. I'll keep looking...

Bruce

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bruce.....
    I have a Browning Liege O/U 12ga. that is like new, in the box. This is a Belgium made Browning, not Japan!! It has a 28" vent ribbed barrel choked mod and full. Has a center bead for shooting trap and a new limbsaver pad on it. $1350.00 plus shipping.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Bruce, you can buy a brand new BT-99 at Gander Mountain with an adjustable comb for $1000.00-$1300.00. I have two friends that did just this.One gun was a Gander mountain exclusive with a green laminate stock. Finish is parkerized, but only $1200.00. Happy hunting

7. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I am in Southern California, so shipping will most likely be needed, but I can part with a 30" Winchester Silver Pigeon XTR O/U with set of factory and some Briley Choke tubes, freshly rebuilt by Midwest Guns Works, tight as a new gun!With a cased for $1250.(counting the shipping)..PM me for pics..might just throw up an ad here for it anyway..LarryB
    //lbshootin@yahoo.com//

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Citori Plus. $1200 new, $1200 - $1500 used. Must be a reason. Merlyn had two of them at the Labor Day shoot. Good luck.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

How about the Winchester Select Energy Trap? Belgium made. Good strong gun. I have a good friend that has been shooting one "lights out" for the past two years shooting all three disciplines. He originally bought for the price and now he thinks it is a great bargain.

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have a Browning Ultra Sporter, with right hand stock, adjustable comb, factory ported and 4 invector plus choke tubes. Gun has not been shot for about 5 years, and is around 10 years old. Metal is very good and bright blue luster, but stock near pad has nick on left side, small sratch on right front of comb and Snobel forend has 1/2 inch sratch on it. Has Pachmayer Trap pad, which is still very soft and takes a lot of recoil. You can have it for 1500.00 which will include shipping and insurance.

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Not sure where you're from but you might want to check out Joel's or High Grade. Give Miller's a call. You might have to get to some shops that do the target gun and reloading supply thing.

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

capvan, be patient and keep looking. I bought a BT-100 less than a year ago in great shape for $1500; later, a 98% (few handling marks, shot little) Browning XT for $1450. Both had screw-in chokes and adjustable combs. Deals are out there - have cash in-hand and keep looking...be careful about buying off the internet; however, there are good sellers here on TS.com, just check them out carefully. Best Regards, Ed

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I tell ya I found a like new 95Citori trap for 1000 no adj.comb but I did find on gunbroker a Ultra XT with adjcomb and in excellant condition for 1500 heres the link to show you
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134802082

Deals can be found if you look and have a lil patients, I shot an XT 1 time and with in a week I found this gun. Need help looking just pm me I will help you.

Jerry

14. cpd544

cpd544 Member

No offense or disrespect meant at all but are SKB's that cheap, I thought they were one of the better guns?

Quote "Perhaps you may find a SKB or a red label, but you will not touch anything like a citori XT for that amount."

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

So far you've been offered alot of "White Elephant's"...

Go try out a bunch of guns before you actually buy someone else's mistake.

In today's market, there are alot of good deals to be had. Be patient.

Curt

16. chuckles

chuckles Member

The thread above is a really nice shooter, Beretta 682X Top Single but will accomodate an O/U also....

Chuck

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

When you say "you want something more" what do you mean?

I personally do not like the way the 1100 fits but it has shot great scores for many people. Maybe all you need is an adjustable comb and butt plate?

If I had only $1500, I would try someones BT-99 to see if the gun worked for me, and then get good used BT-99 for $8-900. There are lots of BT's out there from people who have upgraded.

That gives you plenty of time to find a better gun - if you decide you need a better gun. And you will.

You will always get your money back if/when you move up. The BT-99 is simple, reliable, and easily sold. It can be a tad light but that is easily addressed.

You will not be happy with your $1500 gun either. But most of us have been through this same journey and have a number of "mile markers" on our way to better scores.

Don Verna

18. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Capvan-You can find deals when you're patient. I picked up a Citori XT in like new codition for $1500. It has 32" ported barrels, an adjustable comb, gracoil adjustable butt plate and came with a Browning hard case.

Joe

19. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I have a 2 barrel bt-99 I'll sell you if you want $1000 + shipping

20. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

BT-99 Plus. JM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.