1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Still looking for 1 oz wad - steel shot reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I switched to the 1-1/8 oz steel wad from BPI (VP65), but many guys at the club are running out of the 1 oz wads (VP60) and would like to buy more of the same. The wads just aren't out there, unless I'm just not searching correctly. There are 1 oz wads available, but they are pricey - B&P, Gualandi, etc.

The old VP60 from overseas didn't blow through, but I can't find anything on Helarco on the internet. Wow.

Did find some nasty threads about the HelarcoUS wads and a new company Harpun, but it looks like it all went down the drain. And we have the AA wad for steel but can't buy it for reloading.

Is there any good news out there?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

It`s hard for me to understand why Claybuster or Downrange doesn`t jump on this.

Regards, Pete

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

With the size difference and lighter weight. 1 oz of steel shot won't have much of a punch.

Keller

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Yo... Joe Kuhn!

How-have-you-been my friend?! It has been toooo long since I have heard or seen you...

Fresh coffee at the Clubhouse on Thursday Nights... I'll buy you a cup!

Best regards,

Jay

5. spitter

Pete...

I once approached both with the idea of taking a AA-clone and thickening up the petals for steel shot... the response I got was "not interested"...

Jay

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Keller -

Your comment is based on what exactly??

Scott

7. joe kuhn

Mr Keller. I'll buy you a round complete with shells in order to show you that steel shot has plenty of punch to break targets.

Here's a little data to make the point. Refer to the top two lines. Steel is very comparable if you use slightly larger pellets. Size 7 steel works really well at 16 yards. Probably comparable to 8.5 in lead which is very common among some older gentleman I shoot with at a club that allows lead. This chart came from an old Remington website posted years ago.

I prefer size 6 shot for yardage just to be sure there's enough punch, as you say, but don't tell Jay about this.

[​IMG]

8. joe kuhn

Jay - I've been off for the winter but managed to sign up for next Sunday on Bob Ash's squad. Somebody scratched and I got the final spot. Shot at Frankfort last Sunday while Johnny skated at Krush. Then I went to Naperville and checked my poi and shot again. I'm eager to get back at it. See you Sunday and hopefully Thursday too.

9. joe kuhn

Pete - I'm thinking the number of clubs requiring steel is not large enough to make it pay. Although we used to load our own dove loads when I was a kid and that requires steel now...

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Joe, why don't you talk to the girls at B&P? They were planning (at one time anyhow) on importing B&P wads.

Fiocci USA (I think) is the place where BPI, PR and Grafs get their B&P and Gulandi wads, so they may be worth a ring, too.

Have you tried using Federal S4? It sure seems like they have a little thicker petals.

Bob

11. spitter

Joe:

I'm on that Irish Open squad... good to be shooting with you!

regarding #6s - just like Sgt. Schultz... "I know Nu-thing..."!

See you Thursday?!

Best regards,

Jay

12. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

Why not use the VP53 (7/8)? I'm using it with the Federal (steel Hull) recipe. It cycles well through my MEC progressive. Breaks the targets well (when I do my job!) and doesn't have an excessive amount of recoil. 7/8 ounce steel has plenty of shot. The cup is actually deeper than a 1 1/8 oz lead wad.

13. joe kuhn

Why not use 7/8 oz of steel (and up the speed)? Some do. Most like the 1 oz. They may have to switch.

B&P 1 oz wads don't work so good in STS hulls. Last time I tried I couldn't get them to close up right and pellets were falling out all over. Gualandi 1 oz are good for straight walled hulls - very tight in STS, but usable. I guess we are spoiled by the Vagners - except for the blow through, they were fine. The ones made overseas didn't blow through...

The Federal S4 is a good option, but that's puts you at under an ounce. It's a 1-1/4 oz lead wad. 1 oz steel wads can also be used for 1-3/8 oz lead, so it's close. Will probably give you 15/16 oz of steel. Don't think there's any recipes for it though and that's a problem.

14. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

BPI has a !oz wad that fits a STS hulls MG 42

15. spitter

I think I remember that MG42 wad when we first started reloading at Naperville... I'm sure that was the wad that made the base of the STS/Nitro hull look like someone slammed a square peg into a round hole... the hull bulged, showing an outline of the wad

That NEVER looked right - guys loaded a bunch of them for years... I could not understand how that did not have an impact on ballistics...

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.