1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

still dont know what pot shooting is

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by melbournemike, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

After all the comments curmudgeons heard from hippie comments about dope smokin nad rastafarian sports of all kinds I still dont know what pot shootin is-clueless in melbourne -Mike

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

The "pot" shoots that I am aware of is that you buy a ticket/s on a drawing to be drawed for 1 of 3 spots to take a shot a single target with a club provided shell. You are a long way back and sometimes set off at a hard angle away from the trap. The lead on the target is usually enormous if you're off to the right side of the trap and if you get left angle that presents more of a straight away shot, its shocking as to how high you might have to hold over the bird. Most of the shells provided are basic line loads and its probably more luck than skill if you break one. Pots can be a few dollars to a couple thousand depending on the number of participants and the last time it was broken. If no one breaks it the pot continues to grow.

John

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It's when you run out of clay birds you get your ladies pots and pans out of the kitchen and have your shooting buddy thrown them in the air so you can get some practice. LOL, Bulge.

4. TRAPgunsmith

TRAPgunsmith TS Member

pot shooting is for money . hence the name pot just like in poker theirs a pot the house or range keeps some of the money the rest goes to the winner there are all types of different games for pot shooting but the 2 biggest are Annie Oakley and buddy's hope this helps . Dustin

5. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Went to turkey shoots and never won a turkey. Had a Pot with money in it and won a percentage of it. Im sure thats what a pie shoot, etc is also.. Allen

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Round these parts we usually shoot from the 40 yard line. That's where the porta-potties are lined up. Shooter enters as if answering the call of nature and props the door open to be able to see the bird when it flys by.

Shooter on left shoots first and if target appears in front of ya take your shot, yes I said SHOT. Goes on down the line till target is hit or falls to the ground.

One thing to remember is to wear good ear protection as the echo is a booger. Oh yeah, please don't tap your foot till ya are finished. It distracts the other shooters.

GneJ

7. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Mike,

Dustin's answer is as close as you're going to get. "POT" means money all contestants contribute to. Correct answer was on other thread. I've shot these type races over most of the US where they are held. You'll not find them much in the West but all over the midwestern U.S. Some states like Texas have very few. Many small clubs only do POT shoots such as West Chicago GC. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. Google around and you'll see the excitement surrounding these events.

Start up some at your club!

milt

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

There is no standard definition for "pot shooting". TRAPgunsmith has it right though...its just shooting games for money. Every club has a different game/games and definition.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

"Pot" shooting is just another name for game shooting. Sometimes it's for money so you can buy food for the pot and sometime it's real ham,bacon,turkey,steaks and other food for the pot.

One club I know sets up a SeaFood shoot with fresh Crab, Lobster, Shrimp and the like. Needless to say the shoot is attended by a lot of people that do not even shoot games, in hope of winning some fresh Crab.

Each club sets up their own rules for distance and angles. Some just shoot farther back.

Ajax

10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

A lot of the meat shoots I used to attend 30 years ago in NE Missouri had "pot shot" cards. There were 12, 2" or so circles with a cross drawn through them ( to designate the center) of each circle and were printed on a piece of poster type card board cut about the size of a sheet of typing paper. When you bought a circle you printed your name in the circle. After all the circles on a card were sold, at $1 a circle , the card would be stapled to a sheet of plywood. There was 1 designated shooter that shot all the cards for that day with a shotgun from about 40 yards. 1 shot was fired at the card. Whichever circle in that card had a pellet hole closest to the "cross hair" won a 2# package of sausage. These were called "Pot Shots". This game was played in addition to the regular trap events.

11. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Big Bad Bob - that sounds just like our turkey boards. We have a large piece of cardboard with the outline of a turkey on it. The turkey has about 30 numbered circles in it, and on the side of the board is a row of numbered lines for names and phone numbers. These boards are put in businesses, offices, sold at our (meat)prize shoots, or just taken around by members in their travels, and spots are sold. When the board is full, the money gets turned in, and the board is shot. The spot with the most pellet holes is the winner of the turkey. Based on the cost of turkeys lately, they don't make much money, but they do get people interested in our shoots, and getting people out who wouldn't normally go to a shoot can only be good for our sport and the firearms community as a whole.

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Mike, look at the the thread started by hoot619 for an explanation of a pot shoot. I have explained one game of many that are shot here in the west.

deadon4, Surfer

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

When i was a kid, i went with my dad to the tavern for the card shoots. He had a jugged Winchester single shot(forgot what model) That sucker would shoot super tight. He was always bringing home turkey and hams. I remember guys loading motor oil in with their shot to try and tighten up the pattern. If they saw any oil on the card you were done for the day. It was a fine line of cheating and legal loads. Not sure which side my dad walked on. LOL

Some of you guys that went to the Grand and ate at the "Shot House" was at the very spot they use to hold alot of those shoots. Back then it was the "Club 21" as that highway use to be County Highway 21. There was a small building in back with a small window that opened to shoot out of. I still remember the gun racks by the bar. Somewhere in my mess of a basement i still have some of those cards dad would tweak his loads with.

14. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Well thats all cleared up! Any shoot where a game other than trap or skeet and money is involved seems to be a pot shoot!

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Mike, you are pretty much correct, any kind of game shoot for money or meat or ??? can be a pot shoot. One that we do that seems to really go over well with a lot of interest and laughter is the Custer ( commonly called annie or killer) each shooter pays $4 to shoot and has to buy ywo $2 bills, if he gets dinged he pays the guy one $2 bill until they are gone but is out of it after two dings, The shooters who put people out can collect all the $2 bills they can win

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun pot shoot rules