1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Still concerned brass vs. steel..EXPERIMENT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I recently asked about why certain hulls stuck inside my Remington 1100 Trap gun. The overall conclusion was that my breech area needed better cleaning and that the steel based shell expanded with heat and pressure while brass somehow didn't expand the same way. I have performed a simple experiment with a micrometer and a small sample of shells and hulls. Here are the results;

New Fired Sizemaster
    AA 0.801 0.808 0.807
    Nitro Gold 0.803 0.808 0.807
    Gun Glub 0.799 0.812 0.808 But it GREW to 0.811

One of my shooting friends has experience in metals and machining and he suggests that the steel has a memory that causes it to expand back to a larger size even after sizing in a Sizemaster. The brass does not exhibit that tendency.

The steel bases are generally fine when I'm using a break open gun (my BT99 or Citori). My 1100 doesn't like the "fatter" steel bases. It devours brass base new and reloads all day long without a problem.

I'm only talking about a difference of about 0.004, but isn't 0.005 the difference between two choke sizes? If we're concerned about the differences in their shot pattern causes by a minute 0.005 difference, isn't it likely that a 0.004 difference in base diameter would make a loading difference in some guns?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.