1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stihl MS 440 Magnum Recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Stihl Farm Boss to a MS 440 Magnum. I want to buy a chain saw essentially that will last and do the work I need to do. I only use a chain saw after a storm or to occasionally help cut wood for the Boy Scouts so I'm not a professional. The saw would be used 3-6 times a year. The 440 was recommended to me by a knowledgable friend. He said it might be a little "over kill" for my needs but at least I'd never be "under gunned". Do any of you guys have the 440 and have you been pleased with it?

Regards, Randy

2. STOS

STOS Member

Randy i have 2 044 older models and they are the best saws i have ever owned.I have 24" bars on mine but they will handle 28" no problem.Bruce

3. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I would probably just use a 20" bar.

4. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

I have both saws and my farm boss is 20 yrs old that has been used a lot and its still going strong. Stay with the farm boss on the 20" bar. The 44 may crank to fast and start loading up with the 20" bar unless you keep it in large hard woods. The 44 is a great saw when used for falling, tipping and limbing large hard wood trees and is at it best in 20" dia and up. As STOS stated the 44 is a great saw but it is a logging saw that is made to work large trees.

You may just want to buy another farm boss. Nothing like having a second saw when you need it.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think a 440 Magnum is overkill for a chainsaw...a slant six is more than enough

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb on chain saws, The more power the better.

Buy more power then you think you need, less strain on power head.

What you get when its called "Pro" is worth the extra money.

If you have a Amsoil dealer around, try their 100 to 1 synthetic mix, Best stuff out there.

I've burned cases of it over the years.

Good luck

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Husqvarna 350. I use it a few times a year for minor yard work and some clean up around the farm. It has plenty of power for my needs. If I were gonna do much more sawing I would go up to a bigger saw. I think there is no such thing as too much saw.

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I have an 046 magnum and an 036 pro. Both are good saws and now known as a MS460 and MS 362. The MS 440 is great saw right in between them. Its going to be a little heavier than the 362 without significantly more power. Have you picked up a MS 362? It is a fairly light saw that will handle a 20" bar very well. I run 24" and 28" bars on my 046 and it rarely lacks for power.

I have never been into the Husky's but that 357XP looks like a good saw and the 562XP looks cool as hell. I would like to try both out, either one might be a good one to replace my 036 some day, if I would decide I like it better than MS362.

John

9. 03a3

03a3 TS Member

I have the 440 Magnum and have been very pleased with it. I currently have it set up with 20" bar and it has more than enough power. I would like to add a 28" bar this fall. I heat my house with a wood furnace as my primary heat source and go through a fair amount of wood each winner. I would not hesitate to buy it again if I had to do over.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Any of you guys ever hear of a Alpina 70s chain saw? I bought this 30+ years ago, which is a 70cc Italian made job that has a lot of power, but it's also very heavy. I replaced it with a Shihl farm boss in 2002 because of the Alpina weight.

11. woodcarver

woodcarver Member

Hi Randy,the pro series is in a class all it's own,we chainsaw carve and like the timber people use our saws hard and we have a ms 360 we have had for years and have never regretted spending the extra money for it,but we use them everyday,as a matter of fact we have the 200 pro and the 660 and the 260 pro but we use a little 180 more than anything so it is just what you want for the money they are all great saws you will not regret getting the ms 362 or the 440 both great saws

12. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for all the replies. Looks like I'm buying a MS 440 Magunum!

13. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

A large saw has a couple of quirks you should be aware of. First, a two stroke like that needs a load to run into or it will blubber and load up with oil. Not too big a problem as most saws don't foul plugs these days. More important is the weight and the centrifugal force or gyro you feel when you move the saw with your wrists when you are limbing or busheling small firewood. I have run a stihl 260 and a 360 back to back and the difference is remarkable. 260 feels like a scalpel. A 20 inch bar on a 440 is like a 10 ga. for skeet. Your back will be happy that you picked a mid size saw to cut up small wood.

14. FIB

FIB Member

It's funny that a few people have hinted that the 20" bar is too small for the 440 yet that's what Stihl recommends for the saw. Can someone explain???

15. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

The 20" bar in small or softwood can over rev, and the saw will start loading up (flood out and the saw will shut off) if the wood does not present enough load for the saw. This can be corrected by adjusting the carb (lean it some) but this is not recommend. Think of it this way with a 20" bar the chain complete rev faster than it would with a 24" bar creating the over rev problem. The 044 is a logging saw and designed to be ran in wood that is suitable for producing lumber(saw logs) which will give the saw adequate load to run properly. Based on my experience, for the use stated above I will not get the 044 and put a 20" bar on it. I have used a 24" bar on my 044 and 046, both saw will do the same thing in small wood, the 20" bar will only make this worse. That being said if the 044 was to be used for logging than yes I would and have used it with a 20" bar because more speed with the shorter bar is needed at times when you are trying to cut down large hardwoods that are in a bad spot. It all depends on the main use of the saw.

16. 2ndhandsmoke

2ndhandsmoke Member

I just went through a search for about a year to replace my Stihl 026 AV Super that has lived its life and was no longer worth putting the money into fixing. I read reviews and ran many different saws and the one that I ended up with was the Husky 562 XP over the 440/441 stihl. As stated above the pro saws are worth the extra money for the wear and tear they save on the saw and on you. I have been running it just about every weekend for the past few months working on firewood of all types and it is a beast of a saw. My brother in law has a 440 and we did a side by side test and also switched users to compare the operator and the 562xp was more comfortable and screamed through the logs easier and quicker than the stihl.

I was brought up on brand loyalty to Stihl products but through my experience and the reviews I read changed me over to Husqvarnas for sure.

One other thing that made me decide on the Husky was it has an auto tune carburetor and so far, it does not matter hot, cold, different mixed gas, or weather conditions, there is no tuning, you just start the saw, it may smoke a little more or rev higher for a second but just let it sit on a stump and it will figure out what settings it wants to be at. (I was leary of this at first but between the warranty and the reviews I trust it will be good for quite a few years).

With the recent bad stormns we have had in North East Ohio/ Western PA, I lost 5 big beach trees (20"-30" at the base) and when that saw actually gained RPM's all the way through the cut with a 28" bar, I was sold for sure.

I would recommend a 20" bar for all around but when a saw has the capability to go larger, you know that the mid length bar will be screaming pretty good.

The biggest thing is try and pick up different models and see which one works for you.

Hope this helped,

PS
    This saw scared me enough to respect it the first time I used it I went and bought chainsaw chaps that night online.

Baileysonline,com is a good source for chains and accessories as well.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I really like my new Dolmar, (German made, has anti vibration ).

Cut about 25 full cords this winter without a hitch. (18" bar}.

I heat with wood and sell wood, I think you are buying to much saw to play with on occasion.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

FIB, Don't get the 440. They do make two types and you are looking at the top of the line. One is the standard 440 and the 440 mag is for COLD WEATHER. Unless your in Cananda or AK you don't need it.

I have a 441 and a 660. The 441 I have a 20" bar and for me its great. I have the 660 with a 34" bar for the big stuff and at times its to short to get a full one side cut. I cut 7 cords a year or more at times. I heat my house with wood and my shop also. I'm also going to get a smaller saw like the Boss. The 441 is a horse at times.

What size tree are you cutting up? Small tree's, tree's that are 12", 24", 30" or bigger? 440 would be a high price saw just for a few times of the year use.

I just got back from the Stihl site. A 311 would be good choices for your use. The 440 is just an over kill. Go talk to your local deal for more info. Your friend is trying to spend more money they you really need to.

19. cashishift

cashishift TS Member

I'd get the MS362 if it was me.. excellent saw for the money and not too heavy.

20. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I have a 028 WB that is 30+ years old and still going strong, I also have a
    460 Magnum and am very happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ms 440 stihl magnum reviews

stihl 440 magnum

stihl 440 magnum reviews
stihl ms 440 bar and chain

stihl ms 440 magnum