1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticl shift vs auto?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Would you prefer a full size pickup truck with a small v-6 & a stick shift over an auto trans---WHY?----Phil

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

I prefer not to shift gears.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

auto! Because I got lazy in my old age!

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

They tell me that I'm sort of a "shiftless" type of guy.........lol

Hauxfan!

5. chuckles

chuckles Member

Automatic...too difficult to hold a cup of coffee and shift at the same time.

regards

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

Go the auto route, today's auto transmissions are much more efficient than those of yester years, they have lockup converters, overdrive ratios etc. all to help you get a relatively heavy vehicle moving, not to mention much higher resale value and the comfort factor, if not careful, you can take clutches out easily if not carefull. incinerate em!

7. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

Depends on your type of driving. Stop & starts in heavy traffic, I'd get automatic. My full size 4wd is a 5 speed and I don't regret it. It is better for pulling trailers and helps keep me from spinning in mud and snow when I'm at the farm and hauling targets to the trap houses at our club. Also, less maintenance.

8. tj303

tj303 Member

Real men know how to drive a stick but prefer an automatic.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Depends. I'd rather have a good automatic (Allison) over a fair stickshift any day and vice versa. Give me a Getrag licensed GM 5-speed stick over a four speed auto any day.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I had always driven a stick shift for no reason other than that is what I had always done. I had to special order the last several Explorers I bought to get a stick shift. Last Summer when I got my current Explorer, I was told that the stick was no longer available so I got an automatic. I now think that I have been mistaken for most of my life.

Pat Ireland

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

tj303, that was quite well said.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Unless you need engine braking, like for heavy trailers or loads, or off roading on downgrades, then the automatic is probably better.

Also, don't assume that autoomatics get worse mileage than sticks. In some cases they get the same mileage, and sometimes even better. My wife's 2004 Toyota RAV4 gets 1 mpg better with the auto than the stick because of more precise computer control. Check the specs if this is a consideration.

One thing interesting from days of old is that most stick shift vehicles had a lower axle gear ratio than an automatic, even though the stick 1st gear was lower than the auto first gear. This is because the torque converter operates on a principle called torque multiplication. Sticks don't have this, so they must use lower gears than an auto to get the same effective tractive effort. This is why some sticks have a "granny gear" for first, so they did not need to have to put in a much lower axle ratio.

Another factor is cylinder pressure loading. This is NOT compression ratio. The more an engine is lugged uner load, the more the cylinder pressure loading increases. It is better to put more rpm's on an engine and lower the cylinder pressure loading, than to lug it. This is why for some people sticks and/or low axle gear ratios are more desirable. You can drop an autoomatic down a gear, but sticks do this more efficiently because they typically have more gears to split the range. As an example, I had high cylinder pressure loading with my 302 V-8 in a small motor home with 3.25 gears. I had to drop into second in the mountain passes. I changed the gears to 3.70, and it made a lot of difference. The engineran cooler (because cylinder pressure loading dropped) and I did not have to downshift. I lost a couple mpg on flat ground, but I doubled my mileage for mountain driving.

Everything is a compromise on vehicles. You just have to figure out which compromise works best for you and be aware of the pluses and minuses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.