1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticking door on truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by redbone99, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbone99

redbone99 Member

The door on my Ford Ranger sticks so bad when it's below freezing I'm afraid I'm going to pull the handle off trying to open it. Someone told me to put vasolene on the rubber seal. Big mistake. Is there any product made to spray or apply to the rubber to cure this. Thanks,Dave

2. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Dave,start by waxing the area on the truck where the door seals make contact. Then spray the door gasket with a silicon spray. If you have an RV dealer near you they should have a spray product made just for this to keep the weather stripping on camper slide outs from sticking to the camper when they get extended. Hope this helps.

Robert Malmstedt

3. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

try minwax paste on your rubber seals. Wax will both lubricate the seal, and wax hardenes when it's cold. It's also one of the best release agents use when epoxy setting assemblies that you don't want it stuck to.

4. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

let me know after you do this - I like to know I helped a fellow sportsman out.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Dave,

Clean the contact area of the door really well. Make sure to remove all the grit and grime. Then use a regular automotive wax on the contact area. This will help shed water.

Clean the door seal completely and then lubricate thoroughly with silicone spray (available at any auto parts store). It usually takes a a couple of three coats of silicone spray to lubricate the door seal completely. You'll need to get your vehicle inside and let everything warm up properly for this to work.

ss

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Talcom or baby powder on the seal, rub it in. Thats the fix we used for years when I owned a body shop

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Watch out for the silicone spray around modern vehicles. One little sniff down the intake of the engine and your oxygen sensors are history and it can have an adverse efect on the cats also. Same goes for WD-40.

8. redbone99

redbone99 Member

I don't have a heated garage so anything that requires the truck to be warm is out of the question right now. I don't think the temp even hit 30 today. I'm looking at Cubancigars ideal right now. I sure appreciate all the input. Thanks,Dave

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used the talcum powder trick for years in Chicago, it works great.

10. patrick smith

patrick smith TS Member

talcum powder sounds interesting also you might look into dupont teflon spray wax

very slick and repels moisture.

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

If the temp warms and you can find some silicone grease, it works great. I have a carboard type tube of it from years ago that I liberated from work . It looks sort of like petroleum jelly. You clean the door seal and rub it in like paste wax and it also helps the seals to last longer. WD 40 works also just spray some on a rag and rub it on the seals. While on the subject of winter weather it is time to spray some lock ease type of lube into the door locks, especially if you do not have keyless entry and also the house door locks while you are at it. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.