1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STI pistol price???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Orange Irish, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange Irish

Orange Irish TS Member

A guy I shoot trap with also shoots IPSEC (?). He bought an STI 40 cal. 1911 single stack to use. He has decided to go with a higher capacity gun as the reloads slow him down and wants to sell this gun. I do not know the model of this gun at this time. It has less that 500 rounds through it, 6 nine round mags, an after market front sight (don't remember what kind), ambi safety, and cocoa hard wood grips. He offered it to me for $700. Seems like a good price to me, but I'm no expert. I have always wanted a 1911 style gun and this could be it. Any one have an idea?

Thanks,
    Eddie

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

it depends on the model: a tactical sells for $1700. a spartan sells for $600. which model is it?

3. Orange Irish

Orange Irish TS Member

quartering, thanks for the response. At this time I don't know. I will know more next week. He said its about $1000 total with the mags, sight, wood grips, etc, etc.

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

It sounds like a Spartan, if so it's a decent deal with the extras. Be aware that 1911's in 40 caliber can be very picky about ammunition, it's not uncommon to have to use reloads that are longer than factory ammo to get good reliability.

5. Orange Irish

Orange Irish TS Member

ccw1911, thanks for the response, and advise. He mentioned that the mags are 10mm so that he could shoot reloads that were longer than standard .40 shells. Now I understand.
    Eddie

6. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

The STI Spartan is not chambered for 40 cal according to their website. The spartan (600 new on GB.com) is their cheapest gun, so if it is something else its probably not a bad price.

7. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Your best bet would be to buy a standard copy of the M1911A1, not a specialty gun like the STI. Also, if you always wanted a true 1911, your choice in caliber should be either a .45 ACP or a .38 Super (the .38 Super would be my second choice after the .45 ACP)...

There are quite a few decent copies of the 1911, but why not get the 'real deal' and buy yourself a Colt (original makers of the 1911) Series 70 1911 in .45 ACP. You can get it in either stainless steel or blue -- the stainless steel with walnut grips is a beautiful firearm...

New they run about $700-$800 dollars; used a bit cheaper, but the Colt name and stamped 'Pony' logo demand and usually get higher money than other brands. When you think of a Colt automatic, you think of the 1911. The Series 70 models, by the way, mimic the originals unlike the Series 80 designs. If you only own one 1911, get the series 70, and get a Colt. Somehow, most who intend to buy just one 1911, end up with many more. In time you'll understand....cya

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

it all started with a Gold Cup....and i went downhill from there...and not just 1911's :)

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

So let's see...

It all started with a Mustang... and i(t) went downhill from there... and not just Model 'Ts'

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Go to the STI web site & you will see all there models.
    Also try Dawson Precision. They are big STI people. Take about 10-20% off the price listed there to get the best dealer. It depends on the model. There is nothing wrong with that particlar gun except for the resale value which your friend is finding out. A .45 would bring more.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is probably a pretty good deal. I don't know that you could get a better 1911 at that price. Since you know this guy, I would ask to try the gun out first. Run about 100 rounds of factory fmj ammo through it, something on the cheap side like Whinchester Q loads, and see how it performs for you. If there are no functioning or accuracy problems then make him a deal.

I'm not a huge fan of the .40 S&W (I like the .45 acp) but the one thing it does have going for it is that good quality once fired brass if easy to come by - usually free or next to nothing to buy.

12. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I ran our club's IPSC program for 7 years (google it for some good info on combat style pistol shooting), and STI guns were always first class. You actually didn't see a lot of Colt's, although with a little help, they can do OK. As stated above I would check out the price of that model by calling someone like "Dawson Precision", although that sounds about right. They will probably help you out because if you ever get into the sport you'll probably go back for things like holsters, timers and other neat stuff. It really is a lot of fun, and you don't need to be SWAT marksman to compete.

40 S&W is a very good caliber to go with. It makes "major power factor", and holds more in the mag than a 45. Most people think it is as accurate, yet easier to control. If you reload, brass is practically free, if you know how to find it.

P.S. With proper care that gun will go 50 - 100 thousand rounds, easily. Those are big numbers, and I've done them. I got into casting my own bullets and could reload for about $25 per thousand. I also had a range where I could practice any time I wanted. Still do. Try it, you'll like it.

13. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

My guess is it is a STI Trojan. $700 would be a very good price for one.

14. Orange Irish

Orange Irish TS Member

Thanks for the reply's guys, a lot of info here. I knew nothing about theses guns, now I know a little more about them. I've decided to pass on it but do appreciate all who took time to respond.

Eddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is sti spartan series 70

sti 40 super resale price

sti pistol prices

sti spartan cal 40

what do shooters think of the sti 1911 45 acp