1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STEYR HANDGUNS in California...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

This is the response I got from STEYR upon inquiring about the brand's possible availability in California...

"John,

Unfortunately our request was denied by California unless we re-design our pistol. This is not feasible at the present time.

We are disappointed of the legal requirements in California, but hope that we can make changes to be compliant in the future.

Thank you for your interest in Steyr Arms,

Scott O'Brien

Any idea what the CA DOJ considered a design flaw? I've read nothing but positive reviews about the guns. John

2. Loyac

Loyac Member

This is the response I got from STEYR upon inquiring about the brand's possible availability in California...

"John,

Unfortunately our request was denied by California unless we re-design our pistol. This is not feasible at the present time.

We are disappointed of the legal requirements in California, but hope that we can make changes to be compliant in the future".

Thank you for your interest in Steyr Arms,

Scott O'Brien

Any idea what the CA DOJ considered a design flaw? I've read nothing but positive reviews about the new Steyr handguns. John

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

Anyone...?

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm not from CA (thankfully) but CA has arbitrary requirements for certain things just to make it tough for manufacturers. Check out CALGUNS and I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question with a much more accurate response than mine!

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

One of the major criteria in CA DOJ safety test is "Drop test".

New handgun to be sold in CA needs to past the drop test from certain hight and land on different sides without a loaded primer going off in the chamber.

Other than It's a costly test at manufactory's expense, you'll be surprised how many guns failed the test.

Not that I agree with everything CA DOJ does, but I certainly don't want my loaded pistol going off when dropped.

JFYR, this page is directly from CA DOJ regarding Drop test:
    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.