1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stevens Favorite need info please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just trying to pick the collective trust here to find out some info on this gun. It's a model 1915 in 22LR serial # T949, but past that I know very little and what I've been able to find on the 'net is very sketchy at best. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

ss,when i was a kid i had a 22lr that looked a lot like yours. i seem to remember my Dad calling it a "crackshot" but, cannot remember the Maker. Nice 22 !!!!!!!!!!!!! joe90t

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

joe90t,

The "Crackshot" is a shorter barreled version of the Favorite. Same action configuration. At least that is what I've gathered from a bit of research that I've done.

Thanks for the compliment about the rifle.

Amazing what a person finds in the back corner of a gunsafe when they shine a light into it. I have no idea when I got this and not real sure how it ended up in the back corner of that safe. Lol.

ss

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I have one that the serial number start with a U.

When I found mine the wood was not salvageable, so I am in the process of fixing it.

I know a collector who could probably help if your interested.

Give me a PM and I send it to you.

There are a LOT of difference's over the "Favorite" models.

Mine was also missing the barrel screw and I found out there were three different ones. So I found which one went to mine and found a gun smith who made one for me.

It is fun to shoot for a old gun!!

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Used to be one of those on about every farm tractor in North America. Many a groundhog bit the big one using an old "Favorite."

6. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

Hi S/S Stevens made this gun in at least three cal. 22 , 25, 32 long, I have these three in my collection.
    It was a take down model used by trappers. A great little gun and yours looks to be in great shape.
    Jim

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have one with the heavy round barrel in 22LR and serial number is m599. It belonged to my grandfather and he gave it to me when I was 8 yrs old. I went squirrel hunting with him six or eight time carrying it before he actually gave me a bullet. LOL I refinished the wood 40 years ago and it has rarely left my house. I did find the newer version with octagon barrel and bought it and gave it to my only grandson. Jackie B.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a couple of Stevens Favorites... A Model 18 and a 1915.

Also have a pretty extensive library on single shot rifles including Stevens. What do you want to know?

As for the serial numbers, they are almost meaningless on a Stevens single shots. You have to date the rifles by design features.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Way back when..........They came out one year with a commemorative Steven's Favorite. My son was about 8 or so, so I bought it for him. He is now in his 40's so he has had it a while. At the time, the original cost was &75.00 for the commemorative model.

He shot his first rabbit with it.

Somehow or other, it got some rust on it and I had to have a friend re-do it and it came back pretty good.

Hauxfan!

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Brian in Oregon,

I was just trying to get an idea of the decade it was built so I could catalog this gun properly in my records. I know they aren't worth much, but it's kind of a cool little rifle.

ss

11. Brian in Oregon

The Model 1915 Favorites were made from 1915 up until WWII. Some say the official end of production was in 1932, others say 1935, but the fact is these guns were sold into 1939, possibly from parts cleanup.

There is little to date a 1915 except two possible features.

The standard receiver finish was blueing. However, a few early 1915s were made on order and at extra cost with a color cased finish. Likely few if any were made with color casing after WWI or so.

The other tell-tale is having a Savage marking on the gun. Savage bought Stevens in 1920, and Stevens firearms started getting an SVG or similar trademark put on them. If a Savage trademark is missing, then the gun was made sometime in 1920 or earlier.

Now, a caution. The Model 1915 is the least desirable of the Stevens Favorite models. The reason is it has little in common with the earlier versions made from 1894 to 1914. The machining is less finished. The breechblock is a flat topped block of metal, instead of being gracefully curved on its backside. The trigger geometry for trigger pull is inferior. The worst aspect is the breech lockup. Earlier Favorites had the breech block locking up against the rear receiver wall. The 1915 depends on the toggle link for lockup, and this is definitely inferior. It makes for a "looser" action, and it is susceptible to wear. It's not a good idea to be shooting high or hyper velocity ammo in any Favorite, but especially not in a 1915. No high speed 22 ammo. Stick to .22 CB Longs, Longs, subsonics, and .22 LR target loads only. And on my 1915 I put a small dab of anti-seize on a q-tip and just barely coat the lock up points for the breech block, to help prevent wear. If the gun is in good shape and you stick to the above ammo, it should last many years to come.

12. Duck

Duck Member

Great Stuff Brian!, Thanks!.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

try the above website all about .22 rifles..

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks Brian! This one has the SVC stamp on it as you can see in the first photo. I kinda figured it was an late '20's gun from the way the bluing has aged.

I did get it out and shoot it yesterday using some standard 1080fps CCI's and it shot really nice at 50 yards. I followed up with some 25 yard shooting using CCI Longs and it shot a lot better than I was going to give it credit for. This one still locks up really nice. Great tip about the anti-seize. I lubed the gun with some Pro-Shot grease that I use on my 1911 slides.

My 12 year old nephew didn't really care for it as he couldn't run 10 rounds through it in a couple of seconds like he does his 10/22. It's going to be hard getting that boy to understand it's the quality of the shot and not the quantity. Lol.

ss

15. Brian in Oregon

Go get a a bunch of eggs and put them out at 75 yards. He'll soon learn that accuracy counts, because shooting eggs is fun. Eggs are easy to see, easy to see hits on, and are biodegradable.

A whole magazine of rounds means nothing if the critter won't stick around for the second shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
stevens favorite 22 crackshot commemorative
stevens favorite 22 long rifle
stevens favorite 22 long rifle model 1915
stevens favorite serial numbers

stevens favorite svg

stevens finest 949 octagon barrel 22