1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stevens 311H hard to open?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RayReys, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayReys

RayReys Member

Just picked up a 28" 20ga stevens/savage 311H in fairly good condition. Dry fired it and opened it up- man is this thing hard to break open - cleaned a bunch of gunk from it and tried it again- same thing...is that how all of them are? It's my first SxS so just wondering if anyone had any input, tips or tricks for the 311 in addition to what I've found online. Oh and this auto safety thing kinda sucks.

2. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

www.rucascowboys.com/stevensmod.htm

Did you find this modification?

Is yours hard to open or is it just hard to hold open long enough to reload? The cowboy action shooters seem to have figured out the cures.

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

i'd break it down, take the stock off and soak the receiver in a bucket of kerosene for a week. i'd kick the bucket a couple of times a day to agitate the solution. might even scrub things down a time or two with my toothbrush. take it out. let it dry for a day and then spray it down heavily with silicone, not wd40. let it dry for a day and then reassemble. be very careful tightening the stock back onto the receiver: they are very prone to splitting. snug it down gently and then leave it. if it becomes loose, re-tighten it, gently. how does it work now? good luck with it

4. RayReys

RayReys Member

John, yes I did - thanks; the barrel clearance I don't mind, it's just that it feels twice as hard as a Superposed to open/cock after (dry)firing...the site mentions the firing pins staying out until its cocked, but even with empty chambers it still is difficult.

thanks Quartering, I'll see if I can get the buttstock off and get it bathed as you suggest

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The old stevens and savage SXS DO cock harder than a browning O/U. Take the forearm off and look for a small cocking piece. The hole that piece is attached to is slotted and that piece is supposed to be loose enough to free float and slide. Also, a shorter barrel shotgun like that does not have as much weight so the cocking is all done buy your muscle, gravity does not really help.

6. mark54

mark54 Member

You can't begin to compare a Superposed to a Stevens. Superposed are like silk.

Mark54 in Lititz

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My dad's .410 is still tough to open after a lifetime of squirrel and rabbit hunting. They aren't precision made so we give up some quality in the 311.

As they get older the triggers get harder too. They're not easy to lighten up either.

8. RayReys

RayReys Member

Thanks for all the comments - was just concerned if it was normal or I had an issue with a lack of cleaning or if something was amiss - definitely not like BTs or supers etc which is what I've been used to in break open actions- haha - still a great little gun- cant wait to shoot it and get some wood for it

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I would not dry fire this gun. Firing pins are a chore to replace. Many years ago, I performed warranty service and repair for Savage, and to this day I will not do internal work on the 311.

I must be an old and cranky guy. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun hard to open after firing

stevens 311 hard to open

stevens 311 not breakjng open

stevens 311h shotgun