1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Jobs just died

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rick Barker, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Love him or hate him, he changed the world and everyone's life with his home computer.

Think about all that has changed since its introduction in the late 70's, early 80's

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Yawn.

Don't you people know it's football season?

(But hey, if he managed to be the first capitalist liberals ever looked up to - I guess that's remarkable).

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Steve.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

He did change the world and was working until 3 weeks ago?

One could argue he and Bill Gates have had a greater impact on human evolution than anyone in history

Gene

5. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Was he a trapshooter?

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

He was not just making products for you to play, his products changed our generation's (maybe your kid's, if you don't understand what I'm talking about) life style.

Met him 10 years ago, the hand shake was firm, but to me, he strikes me as a sharp, well educated, arrogant, self centered individual that doesn't care much about what the others think, or how people look at him. Not someone you'd like to have at your non-fundraising dinner table.

But, so was Henry Ford, another outstanding individual that changed our life style.

7. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Steve W, sounds like an accurate description from what I've heard. But I guess it takes a bit of that to be as successful as he is. Regardless, one of the greatest innovators and businessmen to ever live. No doubt.
    -Trappy

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Pretty hard not to respect someone that sucessfull! jmho :) RIP may GOD be with you!

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The man that invented the machine we all play and work with daily. Just like Edison, Bell, and Ford. He changed everyone's life for the better.

10. Rick Barker

While better for most, some might not agree it was for the better.

It removed the specialization and craftsmanship from many careers.

Accountants who did the books with pencil and ledger.

Shop and industrial jobs in smaller businessess that could take a small or large machine and a PC operate it.

Newspapers, catalogs, books and magazines printed by machines using typeset now read on line.

Brick and morter stores and, sales and stock clerks, replaced with online shopping.

Even lawyers, who's legal advice cost a minimum of $500.00 and an office visit, have been replaced with online services, as are many other consulting trades.

Larger work forces now replaced with smaller ones to tend to the machines and keep them fed with raw material, and in some cases, even that is done with the computer.

Of course it brought down the cost of some things and made everything of the same fit and quality.

Kinda makes you wonder about how many people lost their jobs, because of Jobs (and Gates).

11. crk

crk Member

or you could think about how many people got new and exciting jobs related to the new technology that these guys ushered in and how much more productive people have become as a result of the advancement of technology?

It's akin to the loss of need for farrier's when the automobile took off as the new and desired mode of transportation.

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

obama may change the world more than Steve Jobs did. Unfortunately for most of us, it will be for the worse. Larry

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Rick Barker:

I totally disagree with you. Steve Jobs and for that matter Bill Gates contributed as much to American and even "world" society as Ford, DuPont and Rockefeller did and are a close second to Edison. While their contribution may have initially cost jobs, their contributions certainly created a new industry and millions of jobs world wide. Being a Six Sigma Black Belt, I fully appreciate efficiency and our stride toward "zero defcts". The computer and it's operating systems and the many Microsoft programs subsequently designed has brought us closer to that ever so desirable zero defect. May Steve Jobs rest in peace. He was one of a kind.

blade819

14. black flyer

black flyer TS Member

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

barker, your rock is calling, time to crawl back under it. your post is officially one of the dumbest i've read in a long time. maybe you are correct, we should go back to pad and pencil, it was so great back then.

steve truly changed the world (whether you like it or not). he was a phenomenal visionary and an incredible businessman and deserves respect. rip.

16. Rick Barker

blade819

Well I am glad you do not agree with me. I was a little worried there that our thinking might be getting similar, but what I was trying to say was there is another side to the coin.

I was not trying to say the personal computer is bad, but for all the good it did, also caused some grief for some people and businesses.

When a small machine shop had 25 people making a gadget, along came the PC, which cost a couple thousand dollars, but could automate the machines to make the gadget, but with a smaller number of people.

What Jobs and Gates did was made all industries, shops, stores, and other small businesses able to compete on a smaller scale with large businesses that had IBM System 36's or 38's which were very costly compared to the pc.

Many people who lost their jobs were unable to find new ones on a comparable level or pay scale, either due to their age and or their education. They had to move to a new trade or craft, sometime settling for a pay scale less than what they had enjoyed before.

Untouched by this dilemma are the younger people who took to the new tech and other skills and vocations that were since created and older skills and vocations no longer valid or necessary to our society.

After another generation, all of this will be gone and forgotten, just as the companies that made whips, harnesses, saddles and horse drawn buggies, for our equestrian transport needs.

Even in that era, some like Studebaker turned to embracing the new technology in the automobile and dropped their buggy and wagon making business. Others failed, went out of business and the workers found jobs in other industries.

Please re-read my post. I was simply trying to say, it was not 100% happiness for all people when the PC came into our lives. My thread above starts out saying "While better for most, some might not agree it was for the better."

The transition was extremely painful for some people. I have seen many of the older generation curse the computer, saying it destroyed their careers. One could say they are wrong for not embracing the new technology, but when people are in pain and frightened when their world is turned upside down, it can cause a paralysis that some cannot overcome.

I used the word "most" were better off, "some" were not. We do not live in a world of absolutes.

Go to your search engine, type in "Jobs lost to computers."

17. glenns

glenns Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Steve-Jobs-Imitated-Never-nytimes-4071156533.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

Wednesday evening, Apple broke the news that Steve Jobs had died.

Since that moment, tributes, eulogies and retrospectives have poured over the world like rain. He changed industries, redefined business models, fused technology and art. People are comparing him to Thomas Edison, Walt Disney, Leonardo DaVinci. And they're saying that it will be a very long time before the world sees the likes of Steve Jobs again.

Probably true. But why not, do you suppose?

After all, there are other brilliant marketers, designers and businesspeople. They're all over Silicon Valley-all over the world. Many of them, maybe most of them, have studied Steve Jobs, tried to absorb his methods and his philosophy. Surely if they pore over the Steve Jobs playbook long enough, they can re-create some of his success.

But nobody ever does, even when they copy Mr. Jobs's moves down to the last eyebrow twitch. Why not?

Here's a guy who never finished college, never went to business school, never worked for anyone else a day in his adult life. So how did he become the visionary who changed every business he touched?

18. Rick Barker

Look at this site to get some of this perpective as shared by those displaced by the computer.

19. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Rick:

Here it is. I agree with you! As in just about all cases throughout our history, science and innovations ultimately cost someone their jobs. The Industrial Revolution cost hunderds of thousands of jobs. Henry Ford's mass production assembly lines. Fortunately for this great country, we rebound and turn it around to our advantage. I remember the days when I was in the Defense Industry of waiting one day to get a stinkin letter typed by a Secreatry. Keeping records and ledgers by hand and stored in file cabinets. Now dating myself, going to Purdue with a slide rule in my left pocket. Man talk about primitive! It makes me proud to be in a country where not only do we have the brightest minds in the world, but we the people are so resiliant that we can make a bad situtation into a good situtation. Ya see, keep politics out of it and we're all agreeable.

blade819

20. Rick Barker

You agree with me??? Oh God, must be the sign of the end times is near.

Slide rule???

I remember those.

I also remember my Merchant Mechanical Calculator. Took up about 4 sq feet on my desk.

Clunka, clunka, clunka, clunk!

When the first electronic calculators came out, they were about 10X12 inches and cost around 1200.00-1300.00 dollars in 1971.

Yes, mankind has been touched by technology advancements on both the negative and positive side all through our history, but never within the short space of a decade or less as it has been with the computer. Most change overs took much longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.