1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Steve Carmichael to Receive the Bill Hunter Award

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Las Vegas 1000, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Las Vegas 1000

Las Vegas 1000 TS Member

We are pleased to announce that Steve Carmichael will be accepting the Bill Hunter Service to Trapshooting Award at the Las Vegas 1000 Awards Banquet next Friday night May 18th. This is a well-deserved honor for Steve as he first established a sterling reputation as a national and international trap shooter and then ran the very successful Las Vegas Gun Club until it was finally encroached on by housing. Steve joins David Van Elgort, Founder, Owner and Operator of Trapshooters.com who received the Hunter Award at last year’s banquet.

Over the years Steve has made countless friends in the trapshooting community and both his weekly trap league and big ATA shoots became legend. Bringing Steve in to run the Clark County Shooting Park virtually assured its success. Having worked with Steve on our Las Vegas 1000 shoots has been a pleasure and a valuable learning experience as he has shared both his extensive knowledge and pitched in as needed without our having to ask.

Steve was inducted into the ATA Hall of Fame in 1996. Use this link to read about is incredibly successful shooting career. http://www.traphof.org/Inductees/Carmichael-Steve.html.

For those of you who don’t know or know of Bill, Bill has quietly donated over the last several decades well into six figures in support of our sport. These donations have been in numerous areas such as gun club equipment, trophies, HOF, hundreds of ATA Life Memberships for shooter awards, etc, etc. For his generosity, Bill has not only been inducted into the ATA Hall of Fame, link here: http://www.traphof.org/Inductees/Hunter-Bill.html but into over a dozen State HOFs as well.

Congratulations and Thanks, Steve,

Gary and Jim

It is not too late to sign up for either the Las Vegas 500 or the Las Vegas 1000. We are going to have a really fun shoot with some great trophies and prizes.

For Las Vegas locals who would like to come to the Awards Banquet and applaud Steve in person, we have tickets available at $65.00 per person.

If any one has a good Steve Carmichael story, post below:
  2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have a collection of stories from the old days. Some might be defaming (lol) and most a highlight of the representation Steve has dignified himself in acheiving.

Shot with Steve alot at the old Raytown Gun Club a few blocks from his home when he lived in the KC area. Always an excellent squadmate. We also spent a few hours on his or Wobbles (good friend of Steve's) boat down on the Lake of the Ozarks. Steve was generous in allowing me to go on the boat with them as I was a poor young lad who wanted to shoot but couldn't afford a boat to do it all. Iam not sure I ever deserved the handle Steve attached to myself in that of "The Big Bobber" but I was thick skinned at an early age and it made others laugh. Always enjoyed Steve's company and his acheivements in our sport.

Honor well deserved :)
  3. mette56

mette56 Active Member

Like you Martin, I started shooting at Elliott's in Raytown, MO about the time Steve came home from the service, then finished at U of MO. Steve and Geoff May were good buddies and we all shot many targets together. Steve was generous to share any knowledge he had and was always willing to help anyone who needed help. He, Randy LaJoy and I traveled together to LV to shoot at Bob Taylors once. While there, the three of us were talking in the parking lot when a flock of geese flew overhead and I swear, the whole flock dumped all at once. It was like bombs being dropped all around us. Poor Randy took a direct hit...was a good laugh.

Great memories and a great friend to many. Congrats Steve...you deserve such an honor.

milt
  4. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Congratulations Steve !! You certainly deserve recognition for all you've done for the sport of shotgun shooting. I'll always cherish the great times we had at the Las Vegas Gun Club, especially league night. Enjoy your award and I'll look forward to seeing soon.

Gus in Las Vegas
    aka Claybusters
  5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well deserved, couldn't happen to a nicer guy ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  6. Ahab

Ahab Active Member

Over the years when shooting at the old Las Vegas Gun Club ... one thing stood out ... it didn't matter if you were one of the 'Big Dogs' or just a new shooter ... Steve always treated everyone to a smile and whatever help they needed.

+1 for Steve!
  7. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Steve is also the Alaska State HOF also !!!
  8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Steve congratulations, and the wonderful stories we shared at the Last Las Vegas Shoot I shot at and tied for a Handicap, In all the trips to the Las Vegas Gun Club over the years and the terrific shoots you held were the the best.

Your Trapshooting Skills and Legends will live on for ever, Yourself and Bill Hunter deserve the best of recognitions As well as others unknown to me.

Steve you run a HELL OF A GOOD SHOOT.

Maybe a shoot called " HELLUVASHOOT " should be held in you honor.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot OHIO
  9. bcnu

bcnu TS Member

Congratulations Steve. Couldn't have gone to a better person. John Johnston
  10. Bomber61

Bomber61 TS Member

11. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

Steve, WTG! Truly one of the "good" guys in our sport. A well deserved regognition! Diane
  12. dave-320c

dave-320c Active Member

Steve has made the new Las Vegas gun club from something good to great.

Congratulations, and its well deserved.

Dave Swerdlin
  13. Gene USC

Gene USC TS Member

Hi Steve, Congratulations I remember when we first met during the 1963 Grand. Then in 67,68,69 when we were together on the Army Team. By the way it was the best team the Army ever HAD! Chance has it I will be in LV this Friday I am planning on attending. I have lots of stores about SC!

Your Friend
    Gene Lumsden
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.