1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Step rib vs. ramp rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have both a 28" step rib and a 30" ramp rib barrel for my 1100. When I look at them together I can't detect much of a difference. They're both fixed full and mic at exactly 0.687. The 30" is ported and the 28" isn't. The shorter one seems to bust more clays - and with a lot more authority. This runs contrary to what I have thought about the superiority or longer barrels. Perhaps the porting has something to do with it, or maybe the rib configuration?

Yes, I know the drill about shooting what fits and what gives me the best results. Still, I'm curious about what might be some explanations for these differences.

Thanks.

Larry

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The rib configuration, barrel length, and porting have nothing to do with
    anything. You're obviously pointing at the target better with the shorter
    barrel for some reason. You might try patterning the two barrels. POI may be
    off on one.

I've shot all the 1100 barrels: 26" full to 34" full, step ramp, slope ramp. fixed choke, choke tubes, pro bore,etc. The old step rib 30" full was my
    favorite.

3. GrandpasArms

I'm certain you're onto something, dickgtax. The old saying about the devil being in the details has a lot of truth in it. It seems easy to get tangled up in the details and lose sight of the most obvious fact that a lot of the things we believe are important probably aren't.

Thanks for the wake-up wrap to the side of my head. I think I'll go have a V8 and clean my gun.

Larry

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ok do this, get a fixed distance from the reciever on both guns, now out a Mic or a caliper and compare the total height, measuring from under the Bbl to the top of both ribs, now compare them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Trapshooting

Love it

Live it

Shoot it

5. GrandpasArms

The 28 inch step rib barrel is 1.088 inches at 25 inches from the receiver. The 30 inch ramp barrel is 1.013 inches at 25 inches from receiver. The 30 inch distance is 0.075 inches larger than on the 28 inch step rib. Heck, my beard is thicker than that.

Larry

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

different bbl length will give you different sight picture. maybe one suits your eye better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.