1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STEEL VS LEAD WAD WHATS THE DIFF

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rick173, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick173

Rick173 TS Member

I am going to start shooting steel for doves this year. I want to reload steel.
    Question #1 Can I convert my Mec 9000 H to load steel
    #2 If I find a standard lead wad that holds 1 oz of steel can I use it
    #3 If I do what are the potential results
    #4 Where can I get reasonably priced steel wads
    #5 Where can I get #7 steel shot
    #6 Can I use Titegroup, 800X or Greendot for steel

I have read and looked at the steel wads and I do not get the difference. It appears the only diff is the shot cup capacities. If so then possibly 1 1/4 oz wad might hold 1 oz of steel. I do not know I have not checked it out yet.
    Appreciate any help
    Rick Shoop PA

2. dvice

dvice TS Member

You are heading into a world that is quite different from lead loading-nothing applies from lead to steel. Check with Dave Fackler at Ballistics Products-he has been working with steel loads for 20 plus years. He has all the stuff you will need. Do not try a wiches brew on these loads. Like all loads follow a proven load and do not alter it. You can buy a steel conversion for your MEC but if you load large shot it will bridge in the shot tube. Best to use a adjustable scoop to put the shot in. The difference in steel wads is in the wall thickness-more cusion to protect the barrel. Don't try to go cheap-you will be sorry.
    Good luck
    Dave Vice

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Picking up wads to examine in a duck hunting area you will notice the added thickness. You will also notice how far into the wad the steel shot penetrates.

NO way would I load steel, but if I did I would make damn sure I did it right as outlined above.

HM

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

Lymans 5th edition shotshell guide has a section on steel shot reloading.

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

If you are so set on doing it then call Mec and ask them. They have a loader that is just for steel. They would be the best to ask. Steel does nothing but waste game because it does not kill the game. Just use lead.

6. Rick173

Rick173 TS Member

My buddy is a falconer. We shoot alot of small birds to feed his hawk and owl in the off season. We shot a good many doves during the season so we thought we would give the excess to the birds. If they ingest lead it will kill them so steel it is.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

differences in steel vs lead wads