1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel vs. Lead Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Celtic Queen, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen TS Member

I would very much appreciate the group's knowledge and wisdom on the issue of using steel shot verus lead shot for trap. Our club is considering mandating that all trap shooters use only steel shot on the range. I know that there are environmental and cost-related implications but am wondering what the significance of both would be, and if other clubs are, or have considered such a move.

I appreciate the feedback.
    -Theresa

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

"mandating that all trap shooters use only lead shot on the range" ??

I can't think of a trap shooter who would not want to use lead shot.

Pat Ireland

3. Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen TS Member

Good catch!! It should read that the club is considering mandating use of steel shot.

4. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I tried some steel shot at our club (picked up the wrong box). They were factory loads and were really loud. We have issues with noise and neighbors and I stopped shooting them after 3 shots. Unless you have a real issue, I would stick with lead.

Mike

5. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

Theresa... be careful if you have a fixed choked gun. Steel shot requires a more open choke than lead.

Rich V...

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

Why in gods name would you give in to the anti-gunners until you are forced to? This is a gun control issue and has nothing to do with the environmental impacts of small lead shot. Lot's of proof out there that it harms nothing. I suggest you look into it. There is no appeasing the anti gunners. Steel shot was a big success as lots of guys never hunted again! many trap shooters will quit rather then shoot steel or just go to another club or shooting sport. I know I would. Jeff Westlund

7. len loma

len loma TS Member

You have to be kidding. Might as well trade your guns in for sling shots or shut down your club. Steel is no where as effective as lead. Looses engery quicker. Go try shooting it on a windy day from yardage.

8. LeesburgGamecock

LeesburgGamecock TS Member

We are our own worst enemy somtimes. Why in the world would any club in the US "consider mandating" steel shot. If that ever gets widespread support, it will end clay target shooting in the US. Why would we help that happen by incrementally doing it to ourselves?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Theresa- Avoid the steel shot mandate. The EPA is happy with clubs that have a lead pollution abatement plan in place. The plan that seems to make the EPA very happy is to once or twice a year put some lime in the shot fall area. Cost of this is about $20 per year for a small club. By keeping the soil pH high, formation of lead carbonate is inhibited and the lead remains in place.

Pat Ireland

10. Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen TS Member

Thank you all for your feedback -- I appreciate it. Our club currently has a lead management plan in place, and I believe that we do a good job of it. While I am not in favor of shooting only steel shot I wanted to make sure that I was not overreacting, which is why I am reaching out to TS. I shoot trap but do not claim to be THE expert. It's always good to get the perspective of others.

-Theresa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead vs steel shot

steel vs lead shot

steel vs lead shot ozark shooters

trap shooting lead or steel