1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Trap Loads, any advice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hardRT, Jun 21, 2013.

1. hardRT

hardRT Member

Being from California I'm afraid it's coming. I was in Dick's sporting goods and low and behold they had them on sale for 7.99 a box. I shoot a older BT with full choke. Will I have to have the choke opened? To what extent? Has anybody been able to test them? How will they perform for handicap? Will California still allow us to use word handicap at shoots? What's the general 411? Thanks for any help.
    Pat

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

A few clubs in the mid west are shooting steel. Havent heard to many problems. Im in California also the change is coming just a matter of time.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot steel at Naperville, and can tell you many shoot Brownings with fixed fulls as well as true #1 choke tubes. A recent article in Shooting Sportsman authored by Tom Roster, offered info directly from Browning which specifically confirmed that any Japanese Browning could shoot small steel shot through its full fixed choke...

Jay

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Pat,

We've been shooting steel shot shells at our club in Naperville for a lot of years. I'll tell you what I think. You should really test some of this stuff out for yourself.

"Will I have to have the choke opened? To what extent?"

Nah. People will tell you to use a more open choke by a full size, but many of us don't do that. For example, if you shoot a full choke with lead, they suggest you shoot a modified choke with steel. We just leave the full choke in or get one with the same constriction that is rated for steel. I have had a lead choke stretch slightly with steel so I see the advantage of using one that is rated for steel. If you do pick one up, pay close attention to the constriction numbers. Ratings are different between the two styles of chokes. Here's a chart from Briley.

[​IMG]

Call Briley and ask them why they do this if you want to know. I think they're just protecting themselves. The important thing is how your choke patterns. So check it and compare. I shoot a fixed full choke in my 870 that is .040" constriction. I love it and it treats me well. I tried a more open choke once, got less smoke out of the targets and went right back.

"Has anybody been able to test them?"

Dr. Andrew has tested steel loads and I believe he found you need a slightly tighter choke to get patterns comparable with lead. Maybe he will jump in here and be more specific.

"How will they perform for handicap?"

Well that depends. How fast are they and what size shot are they? Factory shells for purchase at our facility are shot size #7 and 1325 fps, 1 oz. Chances are that's what you've got. They break handicap targets, but to what degree is hard to measure. If you're going to open up your choke, then you really can't complain if you don't get the yardage results you're after.

Our club allows up to size #6, so that's what I shoot. And I shoot 1-1/8 oz at a much slower speed. Ballistic Products is a good place to get components if you want to try reloading. They have lots of recipes, but you'll have to ask for the slower ones if that's what you want.

Be not afraid.

Joe

5. spitter

Joe... focus man.

He asked you about shooting steel with a full choke in his Browning - say yes and let it go...

Jay

6. joe kuhn

7. hardRT

hardRT Member

Thanks everybody. So what I get from this it that it all right to shoot steel from my old BT. No need to open choke. I'll try to savor the last days of the lead target loads.

There is a YouTube series on the total lead ban proposal in CA.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHjmxIfkIs It's alarming because it definitely is a veiled attempt to make it so hard to shoot in California it will eventually eliminate all hunting and shooting. Except by gang bangers and other criminals. The people proposing the total lead ban uses phrases like we as sportsmen are "spoon feeding lead to our children."

I wouldn't be so concerned about a logical phasing out of lead if were based on science and not the veiled attempt by the anti-everything gang. Believe it or not, not all of California is LA and SF. It's still a sportsman's paradise but we are such a minority now. It's hard to defeat the SF and LA voting base. Oh well...
    Thanks, Pat

8. spitter

Browning says its AOK to shoot target-size steel through a Japanese made gun with a fixed full choke... now, some folks may require a few rounds to get used to shooting steel ammo... but continue to enjoy your lead while you can.

If we can assist as a reloading resource, please let us know!

Jay

9. Avatar

I sometimes shoot steel target rounds through a Remington 1100 30" fixed full choke barrel, apparently without ill effects, knock on wood. Googling the issue, there are reports of rings developing a few inches from the end of a fixed full choke barrel, but that seems to be with hunting guns using heavy steel loads. With target rounds, we're probably ok. There is also the wad to consider. It is my understanding that most modern wads do a good job keeping the steel shot from actually touching the barrel. I haven't heard of any barrels exploding.

10. spitter

My guys used to cringe and shake their heads, but I have been using the Blue Duster and WT12 lead wads for my lightest steel loads; keeping the steel shot to 3/4oz (just within the petal tips) and the velocity under 1200fps.

They break our Bios just fine and the wads do get beat up, but the barrels look just fine - I had Kolar take a look at both my BT and 90T a while back and except for some excessive plastic build-up (I was a bit embarrassed, I must say), they expressed no concern about any wear issues...

*** Note *** my personal experience in the use of lead wads and/or having had an inspection of my firearms is not an endorsement for anyone else to use lead wads or non-steel components in their steel shot reloading... just offered as an FYI.

Jay

11. joe kuhn

Jay - I wonder if the steel we shoot is soft enough, compared to the steel in the barrel, to allow you to do what you do without ill effects. I've seen your used wads and there is clearly air space through the petals.

12. spitter

On occasion a couple pinholes can be seen when held up... so one possible explanation could be that the hardness of the "hard iron" shot is softer than the hardness of the steel used in the barrels.

Another possible explanation I've come to consider is whether the pinholes form after the wad has had a chance to cool after leaving the barrel. Shot presses against the petals as the wad rides down the barrel... a transfer of energy in the form of heat?! Recovering wads, we clearly see permanent deformation or dimpling...

So my theory is the thin wad material is just adequate for the momentary ride; expanding/dimpling as it becomes more pliable heated, but as it cools, the already thin dimples can't stretch further as the wad cools and contracts, and therefore the pinholes form? an issue with elasticity?

Whereas the thicker steel wads have more than enough material for the ride and back?

What do you think, Joe?

13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

My club shifted to steel about 2 years back, so I don't have the long-time experience of some of the other posters, but:

We have had no problems with the steel shot. We've had a couple people stop shooting at our club, but I think that it's more Trapezoid conservatism than anything else.

One Member shot 108 25s last year. My 14-yo kid just went 200 straight .

You do your job, it will do its job.

That said, I'll not use in in my Parkers - and the choke on my pre-war A5 is uber-tight full choke is not ideal for it.