1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xtj, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtj

xtj Guest

I was asked today by a fellow shooter if steel shot is legal for the ata as long as you follow the speed and dram guidelines???? I do not know so thought i would ask on TS.

Thanks Jkg

update i went to the ata website like i should have done first. It says steel shot is allowed with same paramiters as lead shot, speed, amount and size. Being i started this post fyi I will leave it up rather than just deleting it.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't think there is anything that says you cant shoot Steel,As long as the load is with in the given parameters. We may end up doing just that in the future.

3. xtj

xtj Guest

ttt

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

We shoot ATA at our club in Naperville which is a steel only club. I'm not sure what the rule book says about using steel shot.

5. xtj

xtj Guest

ttt

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of boxes of Winchester Steel at the local Wal-Mart. They were on sale cheaper than Gun Clubs. The only difference was shot size "7" note, NOT 7.5. All other parameters were standard 3 DRe 1 1 1/8 oz. load. Box had all the shotgun competition sports listed as legal ammo to use. I am not in a steel only location (yet) but I figured I would try them.

They broke targets most emphatically. They hit those targets as hard as any lead shot I have used. The only problem was they hit the shoulder HARDER than anything I have used on a trap field. Man, them things pounded me!

One thing I heard was that steel shot using clubs put a piece of plywood on the back of the house in case anyone should end up using the house as a pattern board. The steel will bounce off the concrete and rebound with much more energy that lead is why, or at least that is what I was told.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

ATA regs say (p.50):

<i>2. [A contestant cannot use:]
    Loads that contain nickel or copper coated shot or tracer loads.
    However, the use of lead, steel, bismuth, or other composite non-toxic
    shot materials shall be allowed. Any gun club allowing shot materials
    described in this Rule, other than lead, shall be required to cover or
    shield all hard surfaces on trap fields which are known, or reasonably
    believed, to cause pellet ricochet with material which will prevent the
    shot pellets from rebounding and/or ricocheting.</i>

Further on the regs say no shot larger than 7½, but Steel doesn't come in 7½, and by convention & practice, Steel 7 are allowed by ATA. Skyway in FL, Naperville in IL and a couple of clubs up-east throw ATA targets, and they use #7 Steel, so there is precedent.

I suppose that 7 v. 7½ <i>could</i> be challenged, but that is pretty clearly abuse of the process.

Bob

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Steel shot also patterns tighter than lead shot. I've found that my Browning Model 12 in 20ga with a fixed mod choke patterns full with steel shot. And when hunting ground squirrels (varmints) that cheap steel shot though a full choke in my 1187 patterns the same as lead though a super full turkey choke. Steel shot does not distort, so you don't get blown patterns with it like you do with lead shot, especially cheap promo loads with very soft lead shot.

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Price difference between a bag of lead vs steel?

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

In small quantities, it's about $2/pound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata steel shot

is bismouth shot allowed clubs where steel is required