1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oak004, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oak004

oak004 TS Member

Dec 3, 2009
    It appears the actual shooting distance of the clays are 50yd when shooting from the 25-27 yd line.
    If steel shot holds a tighter group than lead, why aren't more high handicap shooters using steel from those long distances. It would seem they could maintain a more dense pattern.

I would rather lose a clay from a bad shot than lose one from a clay that slipped thru the pattern of a good shot.

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Naperville, IL

Not sure that steel holds a tighter pattern. We haven't seen that, but then we didn't use 'the' software pkg for pattern analysis from the good doctor Andrew who is often on this site, or used to be.

Off hand, we didn't see much of a difference in patterns. I believe the choke mfrs suggest a more open choke because a choke can be stretched by the harder metal in the pellets. I've seen this in my own IM choke that was made for lead. It's a flush Briley and it now fits a little tighter than the others. The only explanation I have is that I've shot it with steel. I'm switching to extended chokes and use the same for lead and steel. When you buy a choke from Briley for steel, it's extended. Don't know if the metal is the different or not, but you can't get LFull, Full or XF. I've settled on Light Full for now. If I have to buy a new choke every once in a while, that's ok. I'm guessing my LF extended will be fine. There's quite a bit of extra metal.

In terms of guys using steel, it slows down pretty fast because each pellet is lighter. You get more pellets, but each one has less energy. From way back, we still see some good scores, but guys will question it's effectiveness because of the lighter BBs. Don't know the numbers, but don't really care because when we shoot steel, everybody has to. Still shoot plenty of lead and it's preferred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.