1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

steel shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

Dumb question! what is the worst thing that happens when you fire steel shot in a plain barrel 870 wing master?

2. Msuhunter

Msuhunter Member

IMHO your barrel will handle steel shot just fine. 870 barrels are well made, the more open choke though the better. A full choke maybe too tight after lots of shells, it may bluge slightly. Hope this helps.

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

The barrel will handle the steel just fine but the choke may object. Specifically, steel wants a choke 1 size more open than lead so a full choke for steel would be an improved mod for lead.

Mike

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The new steel loads have better wads than the old days. You won't hurt your barrel unless you have one of the old guns with .040 full choke constriction, and then you would still be Ok w/ limited shooting. Mod Choke would be more forgiving. If your hunting w/ it, buy Bismuth or Tungsten/matrix and don't worry about it.

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My 870 full (.030 restriction) has taken 10K+ steel shells with no problems. These were reloads, size 7 shot, 1200-1250 fps. Go for it.

Now if I were going to shoot larger shot at faster speeds, I might do something else.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

And we'll see how convinced I am of this when my new used Mach One walks in the door.

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Where to purchase steel shot and what kind of price can a person expect to pay? FD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.