1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flylta, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta

flylta TS Member

I have heard that steel shot is running about $1.00 per pound.

Seems to be cheaper than lead right now.

Anyone switching over?

How complicated is it to change and where can you by steel shot? The local Basspro doesn't have it.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are there any wads made specifically for trap loads with steel shot? This would be for both volume of steel shot and thickness of the petals to prevent galling the bore?

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

You're going to need a recipe which is available now at the Hodgdon web site. Universal Clays is the powder listed. Pretty clean burn right at about 1200 fps, 1 oz loads.

My Mec 650 Super needed a few tweeks: 16 ga drop tube so it doesn't drag the wad back out on the upstroke. You'll also need the Mec steel kit which contains the wad guide that moves out from under the drop tube so you can get the wad up under the tube, release the guide, which swings back under the wad, and go. (Breathe Joe breathe)

You'll also need a steel charge bar and as you might expect, the correct powder bushings. I went without the steel wad guide, but it's easier with than without.

Steel can be purchased locally, but it's expensive. We buy by the ton.

The Hodgdon site lists two wads, the Ballistic Products STS (mg42) which is the Gualandi wad made in Italy. Last I saw Precision Reloading had it cheaper. There's also the BP CSD 100, which is the Baschieri-Pellagri 1 oz wad also made in Italy. It's more expensive. The US reps wouldn't even talk to me about a volume price. They're high end.

You get alot of pellets in 1 oz of 7s in steel. The wads will hold 1-3/8 oz of lead. They do have thicker petals.

We shoot a wad from Denmark, the Vagner Plast VP60, which we special order from the mfr. It's alot of work, but we paid just 2 cents a piece which is as good as it gets until a US mfr picks up the baton. I'm hoping Downrange does this first as I like Kevin alot.

http://www.baschieri-pellagri.com/uk/main.html

http://www.gualandi.it/index2.htm

All in all you can really smoke a target with these loads. I use a standard full choke and have never had a problem. We go up a bushing for yardage. We've tested that load ourselves with Armbrust.

Email me at joe kuhn at comcast dot net for more.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Joe- Email sent. Our club is in a bind, and in 2 months our only choice may be to shoot steel or shut down, any help appreicated.

5. joe kuhn

Tom, The pres is going to get spammed now.

6. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

not sure were you saw steel shot for $1.00 a pound closer to $1.75 look here
    http://www.precisionreloading.com/steel_shot.htm

7. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

can anyone tell me where I can order the vp60 wads in bulk and also where can I order the stell shot by the drum?any info would be appreciated.Thanks Bill

8. joe kuhn

Bill, There is no US distributer for the wads. We ordered them in bulk directly from the mfr. See my email response to you.

Joe

9. richrob

richrob TS Member

Joe-

I thought I had read on previous posts by members of your club that you have been looking into using lead shot wads for steel loads? If I'm wrong let me know, if not, how are the tests going? -Rich

10. richrob

richrob TS Member

Thanks Tom, I am just exploring some options, it appears that there are very few in purchasing steel wads. -Rich

11. joe kuhn

When you hold up said lead wad to the light you can see little pin holes through the plastic petals. It's hard to measure the damage, but I won't do that to my barrel. As Tom noted, at least one in our club doesn't mind. Claims he saves enough to buy a new barrel.

12. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

Joe I never received any E-mail from you,can you try to resend it to the above E-mail? Thanks Bill

13. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Rich -

I think the thing that people fail to realize when it comes to steel is that it will require work on someone's part to make it affordable and available. It's not like lead reloading where there are literally dozens of suppliers and hundreds of places to buy the supplies, all packaged up in easy to use sizes.

If anyone is expecting to place an order for steel and wads, prepare to pay the price. However, if you work at it you can make it affordable.

Scott

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe Kuhn, Thanks for all your information.seems like your in the forefront of this steel reloading, Our club hasn't had to shoot steel yet ,But who knows what will happen in the future. Have you had to change chokes shooting this stuff? Dave

15. joe kuhn

Those are great points Scott.

I tried to cut corners everywhere I could and some things just aren't worth doing yourself. The customs paper work is a maze. It was well worth the money we paid to have that done.

The other shortcut we took that paid off was having a club member pick up the wads at the 'port' and take them to his warehouse. He owns a company that ships/receives from all over the world, so his people were familiar with the process. Then, as I could, I picked them up from his warehouse with my pickup truck. Very helpful.

And we have a guy in the club who won a lawsuit with a big shipper. They took care of the shipping from the mfr to the port in Denmark, then across the ocean and whatever else was necessary to get them to Chicago. I don't really know. They did the job for 'cost'.

I'm guessing we saved a penny a wad in the shipping, but I don't really know.

16. joe kuhn

Dave. Nope. I haven't changed chokes. I shoot a very full fixed 870 choke and haven't had a problem. 1 oz of #7s at 1200 fps will not blow the choke out of any of my guns. My removeable choke in my other gun hasn't had a problem either. I do check them regularly. And I dearly love smoking targets with steel. Those bios leave the nicest white cloud. Ever get one that rolls like a smoke ring? I digress...

17. jimsw

jimsw Member

If you aren't being forced by various governmental agencies etc to shoot steel shot why on earth would anyone convert voluntarily? I belong to a small club that only allows steel shot. The only shells that approach lead are Nobel. The breaks at 16 yds. are good. Kent is not bad but Nobel is better. The others are junk, forget them. At this club you have to buy the shells the club supplies for each round. No reloads allowed. Watching a squad shoot the same shell tells you a lot about what is happening even with shooters of different abilities.

At this point it appears steel will be a problem for long yardage handicap, not enough weight and regardless of velocity you can't get the momentum required for consistent hits. Someone is going to have to come up with decent reloads for trap. Good luck.

18. joe kuhn

The yardage question always comes up. We don't see it as a problem. We up it a bushing and we have data on that load too.

How much do you pay for your Nobel shells?

19. joe kuhn

Bill,

Email resent.

Joe

20. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Joe,

Are you all shooting Sunday afternoon in Naperville? I just moved there and would like to come join you all....maybe not to shoot (have a 15 hr road trip on friday/saturday from Mobile AL) but just to hang out and meet some new people.

Forrest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.