1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Shot - Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Unsingle, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Has anyone shot trap with steel shot? I know it is not ATA legal, just want to know how it works?

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When I considered offering ATA registered shooting, I had requested and received approval for use of #7 Steel from the ATA. If you shoot enough of it, one can develop as good a competency with steel shot as you can with lead, but let me reiterate that clearly - shoot enough of it - shooting a couple rounds here or there will do nothing.

In defference to my buddy tomk2, I would readily debate the "betterness" of Lead vs. Steel. Without a doubt, Tom, Scott Calhoun, Joe Kuhn and the rest of us - we have considerably more knowledge about the use of steel shot in ammunition than anyone us.

We regularly shoot games with some targets out 60-70 yards and some would be amazed at how consistently a good shot can break targets with 1200-1300 fps steel from 27+ yards.

Jay Spitz

3. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

may i ask what the difference in cost is for steel shot vs lead for reloading? thanks. jm

4. spitter

Using very light and unconventional, but pressure-tested safe recipes, the calculator says my 12 gauge load run about $2.70/box. My 20 gauge load is around $2.25/box and my .410 loads cost $1.70/box

Jay Spitz

5. scott k

scott k TS Member

what is the pellet count of 1 oz #7 steel?
    will you shere your recipes for 12ga?
    where to buy shot and wads?
    what powders can be used?
    are you willing to sell a couple of flats of you steel reloads?

thank scott

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Scott,

I don't know where my pellet count chart is. If I remember right there about as many #7s in an ounce of steel as there are #8s in an ounce of lead. To me, this means it's about like shooting #8s.

You can go to the Hodgdon site and get their recipes. Our recipes are for members only since the club paid for the testing.

The wads can be purchased from a couple of different sources: Ballistic Products and Reloading Specialties.

We get the wads from Denmark - Vagner Plast who just moved so their website was all out of date and taken down. About a year ago we ordered 36 cases and we're down to 6. It's alot of work but we got the price down to 2 cents a wad. A guy in the club won a lawsuit for a shipping company so we got the shipping for cost...

We use Universal Clays and Longshot. The UC load is nice and clean.

It sounds like Irwin is a good source for steel shot by the ton.

Joe

7. scott k

scott k TS Member

so would you give me the recipes if i paid for a membership?

8. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Where is the best place to buy steel shot at the lowest cost? What is the cost per 25 lbs.?

9. joe kuhn

Scott K - We approve new members on their willingness to work a day or two in the scorers chair. Personally, I like doing this because if gives you another perspective on the problem of breaking targets...

Our recipes are with the Vagner wads which you can't buy through commercial suppliers. Our recipes and the Hodgdon recipes are very close even though the wads are different.

Unsingle - don't know where to get shot in small amounts because I've never done it. Sorry.

10. scott k

scott k TS Member

what comes around goes around.
    what comes to cali allways goes to the rest of the country.
    that and someday there might not be many lead wheelweights around.
    might as well look ahead.
    also it is intresting to compair pricing.
    btw shot here is $53 per bag and still climing.

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"If steel was mandatory everyone would be on an equal playing field."
    The field is level now. You can choose the equipment you wish to use on that field, though. :)

Steel is a poor substitute for lead when it comes to projectiles....we duck hunters have been struggling for decades to get steel loads up to parity with lead....and haven't gotten there yet.

12. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

This is why I went to reloading Bismuth for my duck and goose loads. I barely shoot anymore compared to when I shot steel. Decyoing birds three shots equals three dead birds. I can even take a long shot at 50 yards and kill geese with 1 1/2 oz of number 2's again like when lead was legal.

Now with target shooting I would switch to steel if it was cheaper to reload. Plus I am for the "ECO" conversion. Targets, depending on who you talk to, do not have the will to live. LOL

Heck even some of my Bismuth loads that I use to shoot over sloughs, I use paper nitro card and fiber wads like they did back in the day. I reload those also. Not too much of a hassel considering that I shoot less using Bismuth.

My two cents and if I get a chance to get over to Naperville and shoot I will enjoy it; like every time I pull the trigger! Right now I am sitting at work in Lisle telling myself I should get to Naperville IL and take a shot with steel balls.

Matt Riplinger

13. joe kuhn

Matt - "targets do not have the will to live" is a good way to describe the situation. Stop by anytime.

14. MCKJR

MCKJR TS Member

DOESNT WINCHESTER STILL MAKE A TRAP LOAD IN STEEL ?WHY NOT BUY IT INSTEAD OF MESSING AROUND WITH COMPONENTS----JIM

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Works great on birds....why not trap?

16. joe kuhn

Rem used to make an STS load in steel. The guys still talk about it. Don't know about Win, but what we have now for sale at the club are 1300+ fps bombs. I think it's a problem for new shooters - probably keeps them away.

17. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Anyone over at Naperville shoot Remington 3200 Magnums?

As far as I know it was the earliest gun ever made to shoot steel shot.
    I picked up one about two weeks ago and love it. Just a field gun and what a tank of a gun.
    Need to put some #7's through it and see how it looks on paper.

Matt Riplinger

18. spitter

Rip - one of the old-times use to shoot a 3200, 1 of .... whether it was a magnum or not I couldn't answer, guessing it was a target gun.

C5C - Whether or not steel is ballistically on-par with lead, when one is faced with shooting or not shooting 35-45 yard targets, steel is the economical choice. When we shoot games, 1300+ fps #7 steel is more than capable of taking a 60-70 yard White Flyer Bio.

When I was first faced with reopening Naperville as a steel range, available ammo options were limited. Winchester sold "AA Steel" and Remington countered with its "STS Steel". Both were great shells, but the market was limited and the pricing was expensive - $9-10/bx.

Winchester ultimately dropped it from the line, while Remington will still make a custom run of the STS, but at a premium price ($7-8 wholesale). Since then, Federal, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi etc... have all entered the market with their more economical steel product offerings.

Our Parks Department, which operates the range, is required to take bids and typically will buy the lowest priced product, which right now appears to be Winchester Xpert Steel.

There are so many numbers bantered about, about the cost of reloading lead or steel. If you reload lead and have the tool, steel is not a leap. I use an unconventional approach to reloading steel, but it works for me and a few of my cronies - the bottom line for us is that we like to reload light and cheap.

Our factory shells are due to rise upwards to nearly $7 incl tax in November, which is still darn competitive. AND at $3-4/bx reloaded, depending upon recipe, a $3-4 savings/bx is real money. So for those who can load 6-8 boxes an hour and shoot a case a day, reloading steel pays for your birds.

Jay Spitz

19. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

So Jay if I do come up to shoot from what it looks like I am reading I can buy shells? Are you guys still shooting on Thursday nights 6-10pm?
    Thanks,
    Matt Riplinger

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Matt -

Also, shot size is limited to no larger than #6 and 1.125 oz of shot max. Honestly, unless you reload or have some very old stock you probably can't buy shells cheaper retail than you can get them at the facility. As Jay mentioned, the park district purchases the shells via bid in very large quantities so they get a good price.

Our fall league is in full swing right now, but we always have one trap open for non-league shooters. Also, it's a lot less busy right after we open at 6 pm than it is around 8 pm, so if you come early you'll probably get right out (although there's never too much of a wait anytime).

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.