1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel shot questions..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Just seen a 10 pound bag of steel shot for $25.00.. I have never loaded any steel... not sure how to figure pellet count and cost per shell.. If you were to load 1 ounce of 7 1/2 steel shot.. since the steel is lighter you would have more pellets..?? right.. per shell.. or do you use the regular 1 ounce wad and bushing and have a really light fast load?? also how does a steel shot trap load pattern? thanks!

2. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

You have 30% more pellets of steel vs same weight in Lead. Everything about loading it is different. Different bar calibrated for steel, different powder used as steel does not compress on firing and needs a special burn rate, and most importantly, a different wad. Wad designed for steel use. You will ruin your barrel if you used a regular wad. Other than that, I load lots of it. Mainly for hunting, but have shot it at clays also. Shot a 47/50 at a sporting shoot with 1oz of steel 7's and won it. 1500 fps is not hard to load and patterns tight. Does not work real well at handicap yardages with the small shot sizes, as velocity and energy of the light pellets fall off quickly. Hope this helps. Good luck. JW

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jeez... talk about misfinformation...

While steel is lighter and the #7 pellet size is standard, but larger than #8 or 71/2, you will gain some pellet count from weight, however you may lose pellet count from size.

Wads... yes there are steel wads, but I load successfully using the AA, WT12, Blue Duster and Claybusters without damage to my bores or FULL chokes (real "full" chokes, not the "modified", supposed to be full choke).

I use Clays and International Clays for my 12/20 gauge reloads... Now I load light. I use a traditional 11/8oz bushing to drop 3/4oz of steel in 12 gauge. Speeds are kept to @1100-1200fps and they pattern nice and break birds well out to 23 yards.

For games or back handicap, I use a box of factory steel loaded to 1300fps and they break birds well out to 60-70 yards... so what does that tell you?!

Want more skinny on steel?! Email me above.

Kind regards,

Jay

4. brdslayr

More like want to ruin your gun, "email above". Where is this special load data that you post? Got any pressure tests? I'll bet you shoot a $200 870 with your no fear of barrel damage loads. If the original poster wants real data email Ballistic Products. Be sure to tell em about Jay's loads, they could us a good laugh. JW

5. culverken

culverken Member

I dont get why people think shooting steel will ruin your gun. I think they are just scared to see their scores go down. I only load steel, and in all 4 gauges. I use regular claybuster wads with Tightwad or Green Dot, depending on the gauge. None of my barrels have been damaged and I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through them. Not even my aluminum Briley tube set shows any wear.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Birdslayer -

As an FYI, we have had all of our steel loads pressure tested (I shoot at the same club as Jay). I'll also tell you that when we got our pressure tests back and they didn't match up with what BP gave us I gave them a call. They redid their tests and guess what, their's were wrong (told me something about having mica from prior tests in their testing equipment that was causing problems).

The load data that we developed (around 25 different loads if I recall correctly) is available to members of our club. The club paid for it, so it's only available to club members.

We have guys shooting high-end Beretta's, P guns, K guns, and more Brownings than you would care to count. We've had no issues in over 10 years of shooting steel at our club. It's not any different than lead, if you do it correctly.

Scott

7. brdslayr

Scott, I guess if you have pressure tested loads then you should be good on the pressure. I like steel and have no problems with it, but I'd need much more proof and testing to use a lead wad in place of the thick petaled steel one. JW

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

culverken - Those Briley tubes, do they have screw in chokes?

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

JW...

Nothing funny at all, about being uniformed. And, it shouldn't matter whether I'm putting a load through a $200 gun or one retailing for $5000 or more...

Use your steel wads. I'm not endorsing the use of traditional wads, but I have successfully used the AA wad and its various clones in my steel shot recipes for nearly 10 years.

You'll just have to figure it out for yourself.

Jay

10. culverken

culverken Member

MR 410

Yes they do have screw in skeet & IC chokes.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Culverken - That's good to know. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.