1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

steel shot only day

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Maybe steel shot will be required someday. How about if all the clubs stage a steel shot only day. In the following week we can share results and comments?

2. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Maybe steel shot will be required someday. How about if all the clubs stage a steel shot only day. In the following week we can share results and comments?

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

KP -

We have steel shot day at our club every day (well, every Thursday and Sunday, those are the only days we are open).

It's been my experience that most people would prefer to just talk about how bad steel shot is rather than actually try it and see if what they heard is true or not.

Scott

4. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

If you use steel shot then you have to worry about what choke you have in the gun. If you look at the choke tubes that you can shoot steel in there will be two chokes marked on it. One is for lead and the other for steel. If the markings say Mod for lead then you have a full for steel. If the markings say full for lead then its X full for steel. You can damage your barrel if your not carefull.

5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Great idea,maybe lead will come down.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You guys shoot the steel shot, I prefer lead.

7. scott calhoun

Hydra -

I'm curious where you got all of that info about steel?

Scott

8. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Why give into the eco-nuts so easy? Why not do an education day about how the lead shot fears at gun clubs are over stated. Letting kids play on the trap field is no different than letting them play in a fork lift zone and we don't do either.

9. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

i know they make #7 steel shot but i have never been able to find any. does anybody know were i can get some?

10. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

On steel shot day, or if it eventually goes to steel, I'm done as I won't take the chance on hurting the fixed chokes I use. And that's the day I'll have my own traps, til lead runs out.

11. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Only when I am forced to use steel..............Roger

12. dgarnier

dgarnier TS Member

We use #7 steel and I shoot a 391 and bt100 same chokes for lead and steel and have not had any problems. We also have some guys shooting the big $$$ guns and no one that I know of has had any problems with there chokes

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have shot 2 3/4 inch 1 1/4 ounce hevishot no. 5 reloads on my last 4 duck hunts. On each of those last 4 hunts I have been knocking down ducks at ranges that shock me everytime I shoot one. I can knock down ducks at the same long ranges I can take doves with lead shot and a full choke. You don't really notice how bad steel is until you go back to heavier shot after using a lot of steel.

14. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sounds like steel shot day is a day to take off from shooting
    Then I can do all the things my wife wants done around the house

Of god what a bad Idea steel shot day is...............

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

In 2008 our club resold 4 tons of #7 steel shot to members with no resulting barrel problems.

kolar guy - try it yourself and let us know what you think. Sounds like you're going to be on your own.

I've shot 15 thousand rounds plus through my 870 full choke and my Mach One which has a lead full choke in it - removable. I've had no problems. My screw in choke still comes out like it was new and my fixed choke just keeps smoking targets. If something bad was going to happen it would take pressure to make is so. Our loads are all tested and they are well below the limit.

My bro-in-law once repeated the rule about downsizing one full size choke for steel. That's what he heard... We don't see it in patterns. We don't have a Neil Winston style study on it because we really don't care after seeing our off hand tests. If we thought it made a difference, we might test it more rigorously.

We prefer lead any day of the week, but will shoot steel at our home club rather than give up the ship because of political events in the past. I hand loaded targets there as a kid and shot my Grandfather's old pump there. I ain't giving it up.

Fight like hell to keep shooting lead, but don't maintain the myths bout steel.

Joe

16. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Scott Calhoun, If you look at your chokes that will answer your question. All the ones that I have are marked with two diff chokes depending on lead and steel. Go into your choke tubes and take a look at them and you will find the same thing.

17. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

That may be what the mfr does for steel and lead chokes for hunting - general purpose shooting. We're talking trap here with target loads and have not found a reason to change chokes.

18. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

won't have any shooters

19. scott calhoun

TT -

We have bunches every day we are open.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.