1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Shot/Old Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I shot all sizes of steel shot through my old fixed choke including F shot(full) fixed Remington 1100 thirty or so years ago. I now use the same barrel for my trapshooting. It won't hurt not to, but it probably would be fine. I shot a ton of it when that was the only shotgun I had. I also shot it through my Weatherby orion with choke tubes. Again no problem. It's probably way better stuff now too.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

According to Remington, ALL 1100 barrels are compatible with steel shot, as long as they are choked no tighter than modified. Full choke barrels can be re choked.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As a gunsmith I know is fond of saying, depends on how bummed you'd be if it damaged your gun.

He usually recommends going out any buying a Mossberg if the older gun you're contemplating shooting steel through is an heirloom.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Put the 26 IC barrel on it and enjoy. You aren't going to hurt the gun or BBL and they are not exactly hard to come by anyway. By the way what are you hunting this time of year?

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Aha

Shooting zoo birds at a controlled shooting area.

Yes, IC ought to be plenty, especially if you are shooting steel. It "should" pattern like lead through a modified choke.

I'd use 4's

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes Mr. Schmo,

The IC tube will be the best (at least in my experience with steel shot). If you have the time and interest, try a couple of pattern shots with the ammo you are thinking of using through both barrels. Use the tube that gives you the least flyers. #3 or #4 steel will work for this type of shooting.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Sh0ot the full choke or the modified with steel two's. You aren't going to hurt the barrel even if you fire a few hundred rounds. It took me over 5,000 rounds of Steel Size T before I bulged my Remington 870 full choke barrel. The 30 inch full with a vent rib is worth 150 bucks? What are you saving it for? The Pheasant hunt is costing way more then a barrel. Don't use the I.C it's to open unless the shots are less then 30 yards. Lets say you did ruin the barrel ( Which you won't) what were you going to use it for anyway? Hell, My bulged barrel shots T's better now then it did before it was buldged and I keep right on shoting it as the barrel was only worth 100 before I buldged it. If it was a Pre-64 Winchester Model 12 it would be diffrent but it's not! Have fun. Better yet just get some Remington Steel empties and load 1 1/4 of lead #4 shot in them. The preserve owner won't know the diffrence and you can put on a clinic on how Pheasants are supposed to be shot. I have shot them with steel and it isn't pretty as they pack a lot of steel before theu go down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.