1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Steel shot in Rem 1100 ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The new steel shells have improved wads that protect the barrels. The average duck hunter doesn't shoot enough steel to damage a barrel anyway. To be safe, stay away from large shot (BBB and T's) or you could use bismuth or Tungsten and not worry.

2. JLW

JLW TS Member

No. I think you will ruin the bb'l. Maybe you can get a Hastings bb'l, made to handle steel.

Depending on the bb'l, you may be able to sell your old here or maybe trade for a bb'l to shoot stl.-Jerald

3. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Old 1100?

Buy a STEEL SHOT barrel.

Don't ruin a nice, old fixed choke barrel with steel shot. Old 1100 barrels are becoming scarce and are increasing in value because people are realizing they shoot straight and pattern very well.

Buy a steel shot barrel and have at it. Save the original barrel for lead shot target loads

4. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

The way I do things is if the barrel does not say you can use steel then I don't. I will buy another barrel so I can shoot steel. Safe then sorry.

5. capt jay

capt jay Member

THank You for all your help!
    I have a 34 in trap barrel on the 1100. I'll have to look around here in MD for one

THanks again

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I called Remington with the same Question, I had an older full choke 1100, Remington said it would be fine as Long as I kept the size of steel to #2 or smaller. Which you probably already know you drop down 2 sizes from steel to lead, Such as #2 is the size of Lead #4 and so on. So #2 was good enough for my hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.