1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel shot in old shotguns: choke issue only?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Anyone who owns an 'older' shotgun has heard the advice "Don't shoot steel from that gun"! I have also read here, on Trapshooters.com, of shooters who have had the fixed-choke barrels of old shotguns threaded so that a steel-shot-capable choke tube can be used to shoot steel shot. Does this imply that these's no steel shot issue with the forcing cone of older shotguns, just the choke section? If the make of the shotguns in question would be germaine to the discussion, let's start with Winchester Model 12's and 37's and Harrington and Richardson single-barrel break-open shotguns.

Thank you for any insights in this matter.

LA in MA

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

On all the chokes that I have seen have read "lead M, steel F" "lead f steel XF". Steel makes the choke goes up one size. The rule I go by is if the barrel doesn't say you can us steel then don't do it. You will harm the barrel. The best people to ask is a good gunsmith and the firearm co gunsmith.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a mint condition Model 50 with a Full choke and there is No way I would use steel shot in it.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to shoot "T" shot but mostly BBB's at geese with my fixed choke Remington 1100. I used the same barrel for eight years of trapshooting after that. No evidence of damage that I could detect.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Most of the old duck guns where fixed full chokes. Look how many Belgium Browning A5's are out there with 30"- 32" barrels, and fixed full chokes. Browning says not to shoot steel shot through those. They say buy a Japanese barrel and put it on the Belgium made receiver. Is it the steel of the barrels that is different, or is it the fact that steel should not be pushed through a full choke barrel?

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The original question I posed concerned the effects of using steel shot on the forcing cone. Discussion?

LA in MA

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In general, I think the early recommendation to discuss the issue with the manufacturer or a competent gunsmith is good one. I also submit that more information about the question itself is required.

Are we discussing faster, large shot hunting loads in a tight choke OR slower smaller size target-type loads as might be used for clays...

Focusing solely on the latter, I think the armful of clubs which are now required to use steel shot for Trap and other clays, have demonstrated a superior expertise in working with steel. To the point that the "old rules" for hunting are not always transferrable in the target steel theatre...

If you're unsure about using steel shot ammo in any firearm, contact your manufacturer, if possible; or at least a competent gunsmith well acquainted with your firearm model...

Jay

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Steel does not compress. The early non toxic shells (you could use copper coated steel, and copper is more toxic than lead - go figure) did not have the thick hard plastic wads today's waterfowl loads use.

Going through the choke, they would have a hard time (which increased pressure), and ring bulges were easy to acquire. I never heard of any blown barrels, but quite a few bulged.

Today's loads can take more choke because of the thickness of the wad which compresses as it goes through the choke. Also the new steels have a higher tensile strength, resisting over pressure situations.

A good rule is not to take chances with nice older guns.

HM

9. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

My Mod 12 3" is used for shooting steelshot ,I had the choke openned up to
    .017 to shoot up to BB's size shot .I can't tell you how many shells have went
    through it , but a BUNCH is close . With the thickness of the forceing cone
    area , that is not the area of he barrel to be concerned with , the taper leading into the choke is where a problem can be .Older full choked guns with
    .035 chokes , will open the choke or ring the barrel shooting steelshot larger
    than 3's , but with the NEW Steelshot WADS today , smaller steelshot works
    Great with a .020 choke in a fixed choke barrel .

10. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

like above nothing tighter than modified as it will pattern near full anyways.
    I reloded a few cases of steel 20ga loads for skeet,and to avoid the high pricing of steel wads I used the waa20 and a .010 mylar wrap inserted into the wad as a sheath.recovered wad and wraps revealed no penetration,but were pretty beat up compared to lead loads.it was a 1/2oz steel load by weight using the 7/8 wad.
    for skeet it was good enough for a few straights /near straights.
    I used cylinder choke.
    ymmv.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
brand of steel shot for old shot guns
shooting porcupine shotgun

shooting steel shot in older shotguns

shooting steel shot in shotguns
steel choke tube for older shotguns

steel shot in older shotguns

target steel loads in older shotguns