1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Shot/Full Chokes/Model12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Has anyone experienced damage from steel shot in a Full Choke model 12? I have been shooting steel in a Modified 870 Remington for 30 years with no problems. Not sure wheter to try on a Full Choked Model 12 or not.

Jim

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Depends on how full is full.. .028 or tighter..I would not go there.. I've seen some do OK.. and I've seen damaged barrels.. Personally.. .020 would be my MAX... but your gun.. I tried to tell many.. screw chokes..or a junk barrel are your friends with steel shot.. Only the BP LBC wad would I shoot in a FULL choke barrel..and unslit..
    I forget the name of a fellow shooter here who has extensive work with steel... Everyone saw his picture with the racoon hanging off his barrel..Bought a Mach1.. made a really high rib 870??? pump..with a scope on it.. Help please.. He has ALOT of data.. All Good.. Mike

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I believe Mike is referring to ole Joe Kuhn about the data.

Some of those ole MD12's were pretty tight and the barrel steel is thin. Also you didn't say how large of steel your going to put through it. That makes a BIG difference.

4. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Thinking about 2 3/4 steel 2s or 4s through a full 3" Duck Gun.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You will find that a lot of those guns are in the .040 area for choke. I'd choke tube it like Mike suggests. Good luck, Bob

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Don't know about hunting loads. Our data is on trap loads. Big difference in speed, shot size and weight.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Shipbuilder, I definetly wouldn't run the 2's through it. I have put 4's through without any ill effects to date but I'm starting to grow up alittle and have questioned the usage thereof. Its the bridging effect of the larger steel pellets that will cause a problem with a tight choke and especially thin steel.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our experience with steel at Naperville suggests that shot of #6 and smaller with speeds of 1400 fps and slower are having no effects on tighter choked guns, using a steel-shot wad... however we offer no warranty.

If you really like your Model 12, I would try one of the softer non-toxics or consider tubing the gun for future use.

I shoot steel through fixed full guns, but again I limit shot size to #6 and smaller and only throw @1200 fps.

respectfully,

jay

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to shoot ALL sizes of steel shot through my fixed choke 30" barrel on my old 1100. I still use that gun to shoot trap and it has had no apparent damage. I can still smoke targets from the 27 with it. Of course I miss a bunch as well, but not because of the gun. I would not hesitate to shoot small shot, even #2 in it.

10. trapman69

trapman69 Member

I wouldn't I have a trap grade two pin that the barrel has slight rippling at top. Then they decided to open the choke to Imp Mod. After they figured shooting steel was rippling the barrel. Still smokes targets from just about anywhere but it stinks to look at it in the sunlight and see those little ripples. Tom R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to determine if choke is damaged by steel shot

max steel shot for full choke

steel shot in full chokes