1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Shot for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

This topic probably has been up before but I haven't seen anything on it.
    1 Are any clubs requiring steel????
    2 Has anyone shot steel & how does it work
    3 Will steel be a national req. in ATA in the next 5 or 10 years
    4 Will our high priced guns of today still be useable with steel?
    5 Will the cost of steel shot kill ATA.

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Naperville does in Illinois. There are some posters here who are members that can help you.

Dave Eberhart

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm a Naperville shooter. Our club purchases steel by the ton, so the cost is relatively low. We pay $1.30 a pound as members. We also sell, to members, wads designed for steel shot at $150/6000. These wads (VP60) are available from Ballistic Products for about that same price, which is awesome because we had to purchase from the mfr in Denmark and go through the work of importing them ourselves. That's no longer necessary. You can buy the wads and get recipes for 1200 fps trap loads from Ballistic Products. This is a 1 oz wad which gives you alot of #7 pellets.

The only thing I've had to be careful about is the choke. You'll want to get a choke for steel or it may stretch. I have no other explanation as to why the choke goes in a little tighter than it used to. The thick petals on the wads protect the bbl just fine in my experience.

1 oz of steel will smoke targets well at 16. You can be the judge at distance.

I won't crystal ball the ATA, the future of trap or anything else for that matter so maybe others can jump in and play that game...

4. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Steel Shot for trap??????

I don't even want to here about it. Steel you got to be kidding. Just one more product on the market to make people use and someone makes a fourtune form. That what happened with cripple and wound shot. Tungston, Bismith, an so on. Except for heavyexpensiveshot. I would patronize buy it.B12

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

1. Yes

2. Works fine, but I prefer lead.

3. Highly unlikely

4. Yes

5. Depends on the answer to 3.

Scott

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I prefer lead too, but shoot steel at my home club (it's required by the hosting agency, the Park District) where I grew up as a boy loading the trap machine by hand. Had a couple of quick callers take the target right out of my hand. Bet it was Don Hiltz. You had to be good to load doubles.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Steel is the best, you only have to buy it once. When you finnish shooting for the day you can go to the drop zone and pick up your steel shot with a magnet. Reduces you cost of reloading to about a dollar a box. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.