1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel shot for hunting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Travioli, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

My dad is going duck hunting in the near future and asked me about using my Browning A5. Obviously he has to use steel shot. I amassuming the steel shot willruin the gun pretty quickly. What should he use? Should he just buy a different gun?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Travis

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

It is my understanding if the barrel does not say steelshot then use another gun. Also choke tubs will say with still its a differant choke all together. Say its marked MOD With steel its a full. With a fixed choke of full in an A5 you could damage the barrel.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would buy some Bismuth Shot shells for occasional use in an older gun. Bismuth is softer than Hevishot and is effective. I have a Winchester Model 50 Full choke that my Dad bought in the 50's and there is no way I'm gonna shoot steel shot with that gun.

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Environmetal makes special Hevi-Shot for older shotguns called Classic Doubles.

http://www.hevishot.com/products_doubles.html

I love Hevi-Shot, shot hundreds of rounds at ducks and geese over last few years. However, the way the prices have been going last year or so, I am going to look at the Hevi-Steel or Black Cloud when my supply runs low.

SW

5. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

I have been using Kent tungsten Matrix in my A5 for a number of years now. #1 shot for geese, #5 shot for ducks. Its a bit pricey but it is the best shell I have found that is safe for classic shotguns.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If your dad is going on his annual duck hunt just shoot small steel( Less then size 1 or 2) I bulged an 870 full choke after shooting about 4,000 rounds of T's and BB's. You have nothing to worry about. P.S What if you could bulge the barrel with a box of steel? What good is the gun if you can't use it for anything but shooting Pheasants? What else are you going to hunt with a Browning a-5 with a fixed full choke? if you are going to lay awake at night sweating about it just buy a box of bismuth or heavy shot for his duck hunting trip. Jeff

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hevi-Shot, Rem HD, Fed. HiShok.....stay away from steel as it does not have the kinetic striking power of the aforementioned.

Curt

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Steel shot works fine on upland game. I would not hurt a thing in the A-5 if you stay away from the large BB type and bigger. Its great at waterfowl decoy ranges, but is not good for longer pass shooting. I used my fill choked 1100 with large shot goose hunting for years and now use it for trapshooting. No damage that I can see and it still is able to whack targets at the 27 when I put it on them.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If you are worried about the hardness of steel don't use regular hevi-shot. It is harder than steel. I think hevishot does make a special soft shot for old guns similar to tungsten matrix. Tungsten matrix and bismuth are both soft and can be used out of old guns with standard lead chokes.

10. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Make sure you use Steel shot wads and data. It is a different ball game loading steel shot. I would assume he is going duck hunting, if so, Nice shot is an alternative. With Nice shot you may use lead wads and data. I shot a lot of steel through my old A-5 30" full with no damage.........Roger

11. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I have shot a lot of steel in older guns.Browning,Mod 12,and Rem.

No problems.With the plastic wad I can't see where you would have a problem.
    If you had the old cardboard wads this would be another story.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.