1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Shot for Hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slk, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slk

slk TS Member

It is a pet peave of mine to have to hunt with steel shot for Federal Migratory Waterfowl. I am not sure how many of you do. I live in MN and hunt Canadian Geese. When you shoot at them you can litterly hear the steel shoot hitting them, but they continue to fly off about a half mile, and you can watch them dive to their death. No one that I know at this point will retreive a bird that far away. This is not even counting the large amount of birds you cripple. For the life of me I can not understand the reasoning behind banning lead shot. I have heard the claims that it is because the birds eat the lead shot. I just wonder if all has been taken into consideration. The tree huggers have no idea how many birds are lost or crippled due to steel shot. I would be willing to bet there are far more unretreived birds dieing from steel shot than from eating lead. Just wondering if this ban could ever be lifted.

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

That is the one good thing that has come out of the lead ban for waterfowl hunting. We now have better than lead substitutes. There are more offered every season. I am using less and less steel for my waterfowling. In pheasant nontoxic areas I am using less steel and more of the better substitutes. Cost is not really much of a factor for me. Where I hunt ducks the limit is 6, 3 dark geese (which is the only kind I hunt) and 4 for pheasants. I still use steel for doves and quail where it is required.

3. slk

slk TS Member

Don't get me wrong guys. I have adapted to using the Heavy Shot. I guess my peave is are any authorities actually going into the field and doccumenting what is happening. I hunt on a federal preserve and whitness this every year. You can't beleive how many cripples I see go down that are never retreived. It is a crying shame to see wildlife wasted. I personaly will try to find any bird I shoot, but when you see them go down 1/2 mile away it is very hard. I see other guys shoot them from a distance and the birds land near us. I will retreive them and set them aside if they come looking, but they never do. There is just no way to explain the waste of wildlife you see out there.

4. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

If you are having a big problem with it then let the birds get in closer, no reason to be out there "skybusting" every flock inside of 100 yards. I am a guide during season for canadian geese last year I had almost an 80% average of birds hit that never left the 1/4 mile line. We take no shots outside of 40 yards, most inside of 20. I shoot 3 1/2" kent fasteel 1 3/8oz #2's at 1550 fps. The big trick to steel is speed remember energy is mass x velocity squared. let your shot weight drop to gain speed it will help your success in the long run. Also spend the money if you shoot a lot of steel and buy a patternmaster choke tube. They are $$$$ but they are worth it I get the smae steel performance as my buddies get with hevi-shot as far as kills and cripples. Hevi-shot is however very effective I have seen it do full body pass throughs at 40 yards on greater canadians. Steel isn't lead I'll give you that, but if done with care it kills just as hard. Shoot 'em in the lips.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are about 25 years too late to have this discussion. We all know lead is a better shot choice than steel. But lead does have its toxic problems and we will continue to see more restrictions on its use. Thats reality.

I like the the attitude of the guys up north that are required to use steel on their trap range. They may not like steel but they like shooting so they are finding ways to make it work. In the process they are developing technology the rest of us can use when the time comes. (and it will)

As far as using steel on game it does work and if you stay within the limitations of the shot it works pretty well. A load of steel Ts will tumble a goose everytime if you are in range and put the shot on the target. The heavier than lead non tox shells are expensive but if you kill a duck or goose with most every shot you don't need that many shells to get your limit.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

In spite of it's wounding birds I think steel has done more for bird preservation than anything else. Not because of ingested pellets of lead. That was always a bogus argument. But because it is so ineffective at long range that the birds keep flying. Even if they are hit the penetration is so shallow that the bird survives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.