1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel shot distance.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grunt, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Trying to find out how the distance for lead shot compares to steel shot. Our club has a problem with shot supposedly going into water. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

2. grunt

TTT>

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

In general:<UL><Li>Steel shot weighs ±40% less than the same size lead shot. <LI>Steel travels about half the distance of similarly sized lead with a grouping also half the size.<LI>If you want equal downrange energy, up the steel two sizes to reach the lead equivalent.</UL>

MK

4. triplea

triplea TS Member

Journes (French math guy) Formula states that lead shot travels 2200Xdiameter in inches. This is proven fact. Steel of the equall size travels less. Contact the ammo makers to back this up. Also available from the NRA!

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Triplea, it seems to me that velocity might be a variable.

jim brown

6. grunt

Thank you.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Grunt...

Contact SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) in Newtown CT. Their people should be able to break down the numbers.

However, our real world testing of number 6 steel, allowed us to stand 100' in FRONT of our trap houses and shoot for our perimeter fence... at 230 yards, steel never came close...regardless of trajectory.

Jay

8. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

triplea,

Actually, velocity out of the barrel is not, for all practical purposes, a factor in calculating maximum shot distance. The only thing that counts is mass. Period. It's counterintuitive, but it's true.

It's a common misconception and a really good way to win a $50 bet.

9. Traders

triplea,

Actually, velocity out of the barrel is not, for all practical purposes, a factor in calculating maximum shot distance. The only thing that counts is mass. Period. It's counterintuitive, but it's true.

It's a common misconception and a really good way to win a $50 bet.

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

You are going to tell me you can throw a hand full of shot as far as it will go when fired at 1250 fps??? The only difference would be velocity. I don't think I would put my $50 on that.

jim brown

11. Traders

Jim Brown,

I would put my $50 on that. Let's do the wager. I say that the maximum distance, within a few feet, that shot will travel is dependent only on the weight of the shot. You can add all the powder (velocity) you want. It won't, for all practical purposes, go any farther. The maximum distance is, for all practical purposes, fixed. You seem to be saying that this is not true and that the maximum range of the shot is dependent on the velocity of the shot. More velocity, more distance.

If I am misstating your position, please correct me. If our understanding of our positions is clear, I will make the wager and provide proof of my position. You do the same. I will let the readers of this forum decide who is correct.

So as to keep this a fair wager, other people on this site should not comment on the terms or facts. And, no private messages.

12. rocko

rocko Member

Traders

Is there a new law of physics we don't know about?

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He is talking about maximum distance. The faster the payload leaves the barrel the faster it slows down. HMB

14. triplea

triplea TS Member

Read Journess formula in full and it will answer your questions about velocity vs distance. It really is very simple and straight forward!

15. Traders

Jim Brown,

You have not yet responded to my offer to wager $50 on the issue of what determines maximum shot distance. Have you changed you mind? I will present my proof and you present yours. We let the readers of the site decide who is the winner.

16. Traders

Jim Brown,

You have not yet responded to my offer to wager $50 on the issue of what determines maximum shot distance. Have you changed you mind? I will present my proof and you present yours. We let the readers of the site decide who is the winner.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Just a guess on my part but I'd think that steel of a larger size may useful at shorter distances and loses velocity at a much more rapid rate than lead would.

I certainly wouldn't take Traders up on such a wager either! The big steel pellets present more surface area for the environ to work against also!

Hap

18. Traders

Come on guys, I need the money. My guess is that many on this site believe that pellet velocity is a major determinant of the maximum distance that a pellet will travel. They are not sure why, just logic, not science. And, that's why some many clubs ban shells labeled Magnums, Heavy, Game, High Power, etc.

Hap,

It really doesn't matter what "size" the shot is. What matters is its weight. Think about trying to throw a styrofoam ball.

19. Traders

Come on guys, I need the money. My guess is that many on this site believe that pellet velocity is a major determinant of the maximum distance that a pellet will travel. They are not sure why, just logic, not science. And, that's why some many clubs ban shells labeled Magnums, Heavy, Game, High Power, etc.

Hap,

It really doesn't matter what "size" the shot is. What matters is its weight. Think about trying to throw a styrofoam ball.

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Traders:

To be fair, admit you and Jim Brown are talking different things. You would not take his bet either, would you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
calculating travel of steel shot

steel shot traveling distances