1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel shot and your Barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Does anyone think shooting alittle steel shot thru your gun will hurt It? I have an 11-87 with choke tubes that shoots really well and I wanted to take It Duck hunting next week, I bought some Winchester 3" #2 shot, There would'nt be more than a few shot thru It. But I'd Like to know It won't hurt the gun. Thanks

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The new factory loaded steel won't hurt your 1187. It is probably a good idea to shoot a couple of patterns before you go after the ducks. This will give you a good feel for the limitations of the steel load and which choke is best. Start with the most open choke tube you have.

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I never use open chokes so all I have Is a Full that says Lead or steel and a Hevishot choke tube, Should I go out and buy one more open?

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Steel patterns tighter then lead because of basically no shot deforms in the barrel, so yeah I would suggest a more open choke light modified to modified works well in my 11-87 SPS. Some people might even suggest an improved cylinder what ever patterns the nicest. It could also depend on how you are hunting them as well.
    Zane

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

so will a hevishot choke tube blow your pattern? Pass shooting over a small pond so shots could be up to 45 yards or as close as 20 yards.

6. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

You might want to check out this website regarding Hevi-shot:
    http://www.hevishot.com/home.html

Mike

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm about 99% sure you won't like the pattern you get when shooting #2 steel through a remington lead full choke. I get my best (tightest) patterns occur with the IC (lead) tube. The best thing is to verify this for yourself with a few pattern board shots at about 30 yards. The effort will be time well spent.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For some of us who shoot #7 steel for trap, we shoot a true full choke, but we shoot slower loads and smaller shot. A call into Remington might help to direct you somewhat. If it were me, I would opt for a modified choke for 45 yards, using #2s.

As for the barrels, choke constriction is a moot point, using factory steel wont put a score anywhere - better to concentrate on the birds...

Jay

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The new steel loads have better wads, and are buffered, which allow smoother transition through a tighter choke. A Remington Full choke will throw a 70% pattern w/ #2's at 45 yards. The bore is around .730, the full choke is .040 which is tight but it works. You may have slightly better patterns with a Mod choke. If you go with larger shot (BB,BBB,or T's) definitely go with Mod or IC as large steel shot do not exit the choke constriction as smoothly. A choke diameter of .700 is the most effective +/-.
    "Setterman" will offer this info tonight to TS.commers. Has done extensive choke/bore/shot patterns with 4 diff guns. Good luck. wack'em and stack'em.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i hate steel shot. not worth a S# on ducks and geese.

11. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I agree with smsnyder steel does suck. Hevi-shot and the like is really the way to go if you don't want to run after your ducks and geese or watch them fall 1/4 mile from where you shot em, it just doesn't hit em as hard. With steel I found your alright if you use 1 1/4-1 3/8 of BB-1.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We use BBB's & T's for everything except small ponds. Weight plus speed = dead duck. Prefer bismuth $$$$$$$.

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Steel works fine if their decoying. Concentrate more on camo, dekes, and calling (or lack of calling). If you've practiced for 15 years, you will call too much. We all do it. Back off the calling, use a jerk chord deke, and be where the ducks want to be. Our "river ducks" are a small percentage of what they use to be. Now that "sucks".

14. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Why is it like telling some one to go to the Dentist,everytime you say " Do a test pattern" seem to go right over there heads.would you buy a new car without a test drive? Sure beats freezing your a$$ on a pond all morning and coming home empty. Oh well my 2bits Jon

15. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I do alot of patterning with my trap Loads and I will with the steel, I Just wanted to make sure first they would'nt damage my gun.

16. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

I might be the odd one out but I can't get enough of real real tight patterns when shooting the fairly small widgeon and pintail we have here in western washington. I shoot an improved mod out of my 391 with steel mags. I started out with an IC and it wasn't giving me the range that I wanted. But like the others said, shoot all the chokes you own, starting with the most open

17. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have an old 1187 with about a zillion steel rounds through it. Absolutely no issues. I use 3"#3 on ducks over decoys out to about 30 to 35 yards with a Briley IC choke. There is no running anything down when properly applied. Like the others suggest PATTERN YOUR GUN! Use a rest and do it right. I found that the big two name brands did not fare well,Kent a little better and Estate (the least expensive) the best. I was surprised. One last thing, for some reason my gun would cut o-rings in two with steel loads. It would always work but when I took it apart to clean it the ring would be separated. I spoke to a Rem employee and he said to call and get a twp piece stainless ring assembly and it would fix the problem. I did--it did. This old gun has been to Argentina and Canada and a lot of other places and shot in flushes and flurries at charity events until it gets so hot we ran a garden hose through it to cool it off and it has never let me down. It is not my favorite gun but definitely one I believe in!

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Won't hurt it at all. It used to not be a good thing to do, but then some smart ass invented the plastic wad.....not to save the barrel, but you still get that benefit!

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Cut a new steel shell apart and check out the wad. Much thicker and harder than your trap wads. Protects the barrel and choke.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For years, I have been regularly using AA, WT12 and the clone wads in my steel shot reloading. But I emphasize that I load light and slow (1100-1200fps) but state unequivocally, there are no scores down my barrels (I shoot a 425 and BT99). For the way I load and shoot, my reloading is also a bargain - see the "trap and steel" thread.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will steel shot hurt my dove l m choke tube