1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Shot and older interchangable Choke Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Marplot, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Another question regarding steel shot. I have searched this forum and found a little information on older fixed choke guns and steel shot.

I have seen some interchangeable chokes marked "Lead Shot only" or something like that. I would guess that steel shot might be a bad idea?

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I would contact the manufacturer for direction. You might find that there may be a recommendation to use a more open choke with steel. Some tubes are not recommended for use with steel at all.

No set answer here, but start with the firearm's manufacturer.

regards all,

jay

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If the manufacture has put on "lead shot only" there is a reason.

Just like on some shotguns it sayes "2 3/4 only" (pumps and semis) a 3 inch will chamber and fire with out a problem, until it has to eject spent round, big problem, won't go out the ejection port!

Steel is harder then lead, steel does not deform as it hits the choke, lead will. Thats why on newer choke tubes they say, with lead its this type of choke and if you send steel through it its another (different) choke. Same screw in choke tube.

Fixed barrel, unless stated you can use "steel", I would not send steel shot through it. Again steel being hard will "hammer" out your built in choke over time and how many round you send.

Hope that helps, I've put it in its simplest terms as I could

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You will harm the barrel if you shot steal in a barrel that is not made for steal. I have a express rem 870 and the chokes are marked for both lead and steal. If you have a full choke barrel for lead then steal will be X-Full. Steal is one choke up from lead.

5. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

It seems like there were thin-wall chokes, or some kind of choke that was for lead shot only, as though steel shot would damage it.

Part of my asking this question is that I shoot an older Perazzi with interchangeable chokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.